Forum

MONDAY MORNING before game 5

7 years 6 months ago #74918 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic MONDAY MORNING START UP
Mentioned a while back . . . . Wondering if there were some thoughts passing through some of the players heads when Coach Smart first came to Athens.

Kirby did not mince words, said he wanted different body types in the future. Could see where that would pp some folks off.

That is something that all of us are going to have to get used to. Kirby Smart is going to let it go, both barrels. Personally, I say bring it on, don't care how it is done as long as it gets done. In a "timely" manner I would suggest.

There have been a couple of "tail feathers clipped" in the media. There will be more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #74921 by sflanagan21
Replied by sflanagan21 on topic MONDAY MORNING START UP
OG maybe right, looks like the players haven't bought in. I for one have NOT bought into Chaney's play calling. Chubb/runs up the middle too many times on 1st and 2nd down leaving a freshman QB in long third down conversations is just not a smart situation to put the O in if ya ask me. I never really followed what Chaney did in his past jobs but all I heard was that he was creative and would utilize our TE's and playmakers. NEWSFLASH Chaney, your best playmaker (Hardman) is on the bench in case ya didn't know. I was thinking he would open up the playbook against Ole Miss but that obviously wasn't the case.

No doubt our D has some issues but I think our biggest problem is with our play calling right now on O. Maybe if we could put us some points our D would respond with more intensity, well besides Briscoe. For the record I have no problem calling out players, happened to me in HS and it made me get better! Briscoe needs to sit down in the film room with CKS and they need to have a real man to man talk about his lack of performance in every aspect of the corner position. Hardman needs to be on both sides of the ball as often as he can handle!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1, DAWGtm

More
7 years 6 months ago #74928 by sadlerdawg
Replied by sadlerdawg on topic MONDAY MORNING START UP
I'm kind of with Flanagan on the play calling...I think the UNC game was called great, because it was around (I'm no mathematician) 70/30 run heavy, and included jet sweeps and end arounds and things like that. Even when the run wasn't going great, he stuck with it. Since then it's seemed to be much less run heavy, and as Flanagan said, those runs are usually up the middle, and when they don't produce great results, it seems like the run is abandoned. I'm thinking more sweeps and tight end use would ease the pressure on Eason. I know it's said the TE's are being used to block, but I think some quick passes to the receivers and tight ends are feasible.

The SMART era CONTINUES!!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1, sflanagan21

More
7 years 6 months ago #74931 by sflanagan21
Replied by sflanagan21 on topic MONDAY MORNING START UP
Right on point sadlerdawg! I've been begging for some quick timing routes! Eason is barely getting 2 seconds to get the ball off. Implement some quick passes to get him in rhythm and you'll see the o line start to get more confidence. That will open up the routes across the middle and an occasional deep pass.

It really does drive me crazy that Eason can't scramble to extend the play. In 2016 and moving forward you better be recruiting a QB that can break loose when the pocket collapses or you better hope he is willing to stand in the pocket composed scanning the field knowing that he may get lit up on his blindside. Eason has stood tall and took his licks no doubt but he's thrown away many when all he had to do was side step and start rolling, if that's even possible. No one on the other side of the ball is worried about Eason running and that's a big negative in the college game in this era.

I don't mean to come across as beating up on Eason because trust me I really like the kid and if it comes together he can be a damn good one. But with working with QB's for so long I have a tendacy to critique them and that's all I'm doing here. With that beind said I'd take a one legged Eason over our other option!

Once again I'd love to see Hardman playing as much as possible on both sides! In open space he is going to make I Mac look normal and that's saying a mouthful right there! I'm sorta dumbfounded that Chaney hasn't used him not once. I've heard his tackling needs some work so maybe that's why we aren't seeing him on D, but I don't think he could do any worse than Briscoe. Briscoe ain't bad in coverage most of the time but he has no idea right now how to adjust to the ball and that concerns me because that should have been taken care of by the coaches! Don't get me wrong he does get beat but a lot of times he is just out of position which is a coaching issue again to some degree. But there again we've had an issue for years with our corners being lost and out of position. I was really hopping CKS was fix that by now! I for one was big on Wiggins and I really miss that kid! He loves the game and loves to hit!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, sadlerdawg, AllDawgs5, yankeedawg1

More
7 years 6 months ago #74936 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic MONDAY MORNING START UP
Appears that our coaches have had enough of the kind of things that happened against Ole Miss, they know how we looked the games played prior to Ole Miss.

Time now to make what I call "hard decisions". When a coach sits or replaces a player that has been a starter or getting some action in every game, now falls further down in the pecking order, it is not business as usual.

I fully expect some serious hitting Saturday in Athens. Also appears that we are at that point . . . . spit or get off of the pot. Believe most felt that there were going to be many changes before 2016 Season was over. Against Tennessee, many of the players on both teams will face each other again . . . . having played against each other in high school.

Like the way the coaching staff is approaching not only the Tennessee game, they are now laying out what will happen the remainder of the football season. Might see some players pout a bit and choose to play elsewhere. We have seen that before on more than one occasion.

All part of "rebuilding". Rebuilding at a "higher level" than previous years. See where some of the talking heads have Georgia again in the Belk Bowl. Nothing wrong with playing in a lesser bowl if that is what our coaching and recruiting efforts have led us to. This group of coaches know that they are in Athens to use the enormous talent that surrounds them and get to the point that the word "rebuilding" is replaced with a different word.

georgia.247sports.com/Bolt/Practice-Note...as-new-look-47826041
The following user(s) said Thank You: AllDawgs5

More
7 years 6 months ago #74937 by AllDawgs5
Replied by AllDawgs5 on topic MONDAY MORNING START UP
Buc, I saw the practice report late last night. This is the change we hoped we would see. Either buy in, do what we ask, or leave you helmet in the locker room. After reviewing my post, I want to make one thing clear that I have probably "muddied up", I am still very excited about the coaching staff that we have in place. I still believe this staff could be one of the all-time greats. With that being said, I expect to see kids playing their hearts out. If it takes playing walk-ons and we lose by 50. As long as we can see max effort, see that it matters to these kids, I can live with the results. What I saw Saturday was a lot of retreating. As I used to tell my players, and have said many times "Make no mistake about this game. Football is a violent collision sport"

As for the offense of play-calling, IMO it hasn't been great, but I don't think it has been very bad. Chubb is a grind you down runner, so I can see using him more between the tackles. Also a way to protect that knee a little. I will also say, I have seen quite a few TE's running free this year. We have just missed them. Realize this will probably sound crazy, but I think our offense actually looked a little better this last game than they did the previous 2 games, with the exception of the WR's. We had some chances. I also saw a lot of cut-back lanes that were missed in the running game. Herrien found them. Kid seems to have really good vision.

GO DAWGS - Believe we are finally about to see what we all want. Not necessarily talking about wins.

More
Time to create page: 0.061 seconds