Forum

From Athens- Friday Thoughts

7 years 7 months ago #74183 by rockdawg
Replied by rockdawg on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
Two factors are going to be yUGe for figuring out a QB for UNC. First is fan base enthusiasm. It's a hard one because starting JE would definitely build that up to a fever pitch until the kickoff, but it could also bounce the other way if he bombs.

Second is the cushion provided by the OL and the running game. We have multiple running backs who can punish the UNC D, and a coach who is smart enough to use it. If we need a big passing game to beat UNC, then we are in trouble.

This is why we grabbed CKS. He has the Dawg nation on his side, and will get the benefit of the doubt for much of this season. Good decisions will be evident, as will hard-nosed, junkyard dawg play by both units. Nobody expects a NC this year, but I think we will be a surprisingly good team.

Several years ago, 'bama faced a similar situation - unknown team with new coach playing a well-regarded Clemson in Atlanta. 'Bama kicked their butts up one side and down the other, cementing a healthy respect for the team and Saban.

UNC is a well-regarded team. Key will be to come out in the trenches and punch them in the mouth with OL and running game. Keep the D off the field and make the most of our speed. Most sportswriters see this as an obstacle for UGA. I see it as an opportunity for CKS to make a statement. Hope he does.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, sflanagan21

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #74184 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
Good read Rockdawg.

Copied from your post . . . .

Two factors are going to be yUGe for figuring out a QB for UNC. First is fan base enthusiasm. It's a hard one because starting JE would definitely build that up to a fever pitch until the kickoff, but it could also bounce the other way if he bombs.

After the game, it will certainly be one of the two . . . .

Damned if you . . . . Damned if you don't.

For certain there are those out there waiting for an opportunity to remind us that Smart and Company were "supposed" to be all that.

Major concern with those that really should keep their fingers away from the keyboards . . . . do not understand that at some point we (UGA) needed solid coaching, coaching that understands more than anything . . . . the need for "Depth".

Fourteen players give or take committed for 2017 . . . . plays to what Kirby Smart said soon after arrival . . . . not recruiting for numbers, recruiting for talent.

How long will it take? Willing to wager that it won't take 15 years for UGA to be in the mix year after year for serious consideration, referring to more than "Winning the East Side of the SEC".

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #74185 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
Anyone that believes Coach Smart upon arrival in Athens, flew across the country to be with Jacob Eason and his family for no other reason than making sure Jacob was wanted by the new head coach, think about that.

Until the University of Georgia comes to the realization that the offensive line can be just as important as a quarterback sacking defensive line . . . . my opinion, that has been the problem.

There are a lot of FANS needing to buy into three/four seconds “protection” for the quarterback. I sincerely hope that the same mistakes that “were made” before the 2016 Season, AM for example, do not carry over to the 2016 Team.

I do know this from being around football for a while . . . . Coach Smart is going to go not only with his gut, he will do exactly what Coach Chaney and Coach Pittman have to say about quarterbacks and quarterbacks understanding what “He/Smart” wants.

Say again . . . . I really like the fact that Coach Smart chose his supporting cast not only by himself, he had guidance from those that he had spent time playing against and for. This edition of UGA Football is not like anything I have watched for a long while.

Stop with this . . . . After the 2016 Season, there will be young men that want to wear the Red and Black . . . . for FOUR QUARTERS. I said that and believe that.

In the "chatter", one thing that I really like and understand . . . . Players on the team know who the best "quarterback" is. Nuff said.

Might be worth a “listen”.

More
7 years 7 months ago #74186 by scooby
Replied by scooby on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
Just a fyi in case someone doesn't know, Sam Pittman was the ol coach at unc from 07-11. He must have liked it there because that is his longest stay before or since. Wouldn't think any players he recruited are still playing, but still will be an interesting game for him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg, sflanagan21

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #74187 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
Can I just butt in to the conversation here and just say how refreshing it is that we all have opinions on this topic of JE vs. the others and while some opinions are at odds with others, we are maintaining a civil conversation about football.

Good grief that's so nice to see.

Not to get all mushy, but this is why I post at dawgs.com. Ya'll know football, and know how to conduct yourselves like good guys who are passionate and knowledgeable about your game - whether you agree with others or not. That's a rare thing these days fellas.

Thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, yankeedawg1, growl, sflanagan21

More
7 years 7 months ago #74188 by sflanagan21
Replied by sflanagan21 on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
Well said SD! Everyone on dawgs.com are passionate and knowledgable about the Dawgs and that's why I visit this site daily year round! I've used this site to vent on many occasions and there's been several times that I've been in some "scraps" as Buc has said but at the end of the day I wouldn't want to chat about UGA football with no one else on earth besides the fellows on this site. I truely look at this site as a brotherhood and I love them all but have yet to meet a single one. There's mushy for ya haha! GO DAWGS!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg, growl

More
Time to create page: 0.052 seconds