Forum

1-13-16 Kirby Smart Press Conference Thoughts

8 years 3 months ago #72562 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic 1-13-16 Kirby Smart Press Conference Thoughts

Buc wrote:
For Wartdawg to say he is excited, think he did, if not close to that, means change has actually happened in Athens.

Yes Buc... excited.

Excited for a new direction. I don't even have super-high expectations right off the bat. There have been other seasons in the semi-recent past where I thought we
would have better results than what I expect in 2016, but I wasn't this "excited".

I was brought up understanding how to build things. Words like foundation mean
more to me than they may mean to others. I'm looking forward to building UGA football and doing it on a firm foundation. I think that is what will happen.

Anyway... things are not stale any longer, and that's a for sure.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #72563 by Buc
Maybe I am wrong. Reading everything for many years, even before the internet, has some of the beat reporting changed?

Reading the article below, believe this board has had some conversation about BVG and others for a long time.

www.dawgnation.com/football/a-matter-of-...em-through-the-years

EDIT: For those that come around on occasion . . . .

Now we have talk about recruiting both sides of the ball. Believe that was a foreign language before.

Some never quite get a grip on "team", that sometimes includes those that post and those that "understand" overall team concepts. Group in Athens has enjoyed their "free time", times have changed, both for the Group and those that are annoyed with "things".

Go Dawgs :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wartdawg

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #72564 by Buc
My opinion . . . . Our team totally fell apart after this game . . . .

AM needed someone to step up, and as usual not one on the offensive side of the ball calling plays had anything to say. Again we were a team that were not "prepared" to play on both sides of the ball.

Aaron Murray led Georgia to two SEC championship games, but when he had his best season, 2013, the defense struggled.

This photograph says

it all.
Attachments:

More
8 years 3 months ago #72567 by BulldogShannon
Replied by BulldogShannon on topic 1-13-16 Kirby Smart Press Conference Thoughts
WartDawg you mentioned just focus on winning the next play. For too many years CMR relied on gimmicks (everyone on the field in 2007, several blackouts) instead of fundamentals to win the game. KS brings the Saban "process" to Athens.

I highly recommend for fans of UGA to find books written about Saban's process. It will let you know what is in store for UGA fans: hard work, win the play and not stress about winning the game, fundamentals, intensity on the recruiting trail, and getting everything you need to succeed as a head coach

More
8 years 3 months ago #72568 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic 1-13-16 Kirby Smart Press Conference Thoughts
Buc... funny how nothing in that article (or most articles) comes as any surprise.

Uneven... nothing ever matching up and coming together. It dove tails right in with what I and others said so often about our recruiting:
Uneven.

Add up the stars and it seemed we recruited a great class, but there was always situations like recruiting multiple great players to fill only one open spot while leaving other holes unfilled.

Anyway...'moving forward it seems we have a guy who understands what our problems were... now he just needs to execute well in his attempts to correct them.

Step 1 is identifying the problem. CHECK

Step 2 is correcting it ....

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #72571 by Buc
Wartdawg said . . . .

Add up the stars and it seemed we recruited a great class, but there was always situations like recruiting multiple great players to fill only one open spot while leaving other holes unfilled.

The above paragraph from Wartdawg captured the problem(s).

There will still be pats on the back for the players, also there will be a fundamental change. Now on "stage" in Athens is someone that did not sit on the bench in college. A person that studied under a detailed "Boss". Those lessons "learned" will at some point turn the UGA program around. Who will benefit from "change" . . . . everyone including the "vault" that McGarity closely protects. That will change also. Kirby Smart will need some time, more than one season, but change is currently underway.

These young players today have one thing that is paramount in their recruiting cycle. First off these young pups know what a particular college football team "needs". Know their chances of starting in either their first or second year. Many of the top ranked high school players are surrounded by folks that haven't fallen off of the turnip truck.

Players get a real close look at the "competition" in the many "camps" that are now run throughout the nation. Camps many times that are sponsored by "big money".

Might be that three or four young men are being recruited for the same position, all three close in talent, no way all three are going to attend the same university. Advisors, whether coaches, friends or family are never more than a stones throw away and all have opinions.

Going to see a lot keener competition now that the Nick Saban coaching tree has expanded in the SEC. South Carolina, Florida and Georgia. SEC in 2016 and beyond made itself a tougher win among the East and West side. Don't see too many "gimmes" in the near future.

Yes it was past time to change the way football was handled in the Classic City.

More
Time to create page: 0.059 seconds