Forum

Lesson Learned "and" Applied By Saban Pupil

8 years 5 months ago #70917 by Buc
Have mentioned several times on Dawgs.com that I am beginning to live in fear. I have a pretty good grip on a lot of football in the State of Florida. Talk with and listen to some folks that truly understand what is going on in the SEC East.

Would like very much to say that our head coach has learned and applied 15 years experience in the SEC to our advantage. No can do.

Start with this. Since Mark Richt became head coach we have had the following defensive coordinators employed by him.

BVG, Martinez, grantham and now Pruitt.

Not one of the four teach defense the same way. Parts of systems remain the same, however the overall methods are 180 degrees out.

Whether we buy into the "chatter" that was in the media about Pruitt leaving or not, normally where there is smoke there is fire.

I believe that three of the four defensive coaches mentioned above are good defensive coaches. What they did not get from our head coach is what McElwain did get from Nick Saban and it has carried over since his departure from Alabama to his current job in Florida.

Some seem to think that Pruitt pulling up stakes and going elsewhere will not have a huge effect on UGA. If you live in that world, you really don't need to read any further. Mark Richt tweeted for all to hear in his first step to keep his job. Second was to take a plane to Washington State.

Say again . . . . Under our present head coach, going to be rough sledding winning in JAX against another Nick Saban disciple. Damn right I am aware of the differences in head coaches, one in Athens and the other in Gainesville.

Losing to Tennessee was bad, losing to the gators, words won't cover what many UGA folks in Florida are having to put up with.

Favorites in the Vol, Crimson Tide and gator games. And what happened? We have a huge amount of player talent in Athens . . . . guess that is not the problem, eh?

McElwain did not shy away from admitting how much Alabama head coach Nick Saban has influenced his career and coaching style, noting during an interview with Mike Bianchi on Orlando’s 740 The Game that there are things he took with him to Colorado State and will once again while setting up the Florida football program in his own image.

“We can write a book on [what I learned from Saban]. I just can’t tell you how fortunate I was to work for him and just learning the organizational part of the whole structure, everything that touches the desk of the head football coach, making sure that there aren’t separate agendas throughout the building,” McElwain said.

“He kind of told me when we first got [to Alabama], he said, ‘Mac, look, all I’m going to ask you to do is work hard and be complete in what you do.’ And you know what? That kind of helps you in life, too. I can’t tell you how grateful I was for that opportunity.

“The things we learn, man, you learn throughout life with a lot of different, great coaches I’ve been around. There’s a lot of great stuff I’ve been fortunate to be a part of. I had a chance here at Colorado State to kind of set some of those in motion, and I’m looking forward to doing it with the Gators now.”

He expanded on those comments during a radio spot with Jacksonville’s 1010 XL, noting that he has taken from Saban the concept of planning ahead for 18 months at a time and how that process will help the Gators going forward.

“I learned from one of the best really in time management and the organizational part of your year-and-a-half long calendar that updates every month and kind of how we have to put these things into place,” he explained.
The following user(s) said Thank You: averagedawg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 5 months ago #70920 by averagedawg
Replied by averagedawg on topic Lesson Learned "and" Applied By Saban Pupil
Great analysis Buc.
Saban not only coaches players, he trains coaches.
He demands the best, an obsolete concept for Richt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, sadlerdawg

More
8 years 4 months ago #70921 by Buc
The Nick Saban Coaching Tree is one to be looked at closely.

All any of us have to do is look around and see where those that have studied under Saban have landed.

muschamp had the right pieces in Florida, "on the defense". Jeremy Foley could not allow a "one sided football team". I say that because looking back over the years, it seems that we, UGA have always played "one sided football". Good offense, mediocre defense. Good defense, mediocre offense "at best".

That is "one" of the differences between our head coach and others that do a much better job, and get paid "much less".

Might be that his "best" coach is now ready to move into a head coaching position. Never will I doubt that Kirby Smart is the right man for the job. There is no way that Kirby could spend the amount of time under Saban that he has and not be "all that" as a head coach, anywhere. I still fear that the trip to Washington was to protect our head coach.

Have this sinking feeling that Kirby Smart will land in Columbia, South Carolina.

Mark Richt tried to hire Kirby before hiring grantham. Kirby listened to Saban and now as Saban said to him . . . . "You don't need to move laterally". Saban would hate to see Smart leave, but if it was for a head coaching position with the Gamecocks, he would give his stamp of approval. Saban's coaching tree is fixing to "expand again".

McElwain coaching the gators, Smart coaching the Gamecocks. Both coaching in the SEC East. Just who believes that our head coach can compete with that added "head coaching talent"?

First time out McElwain with limited players gave notice to Mark Richt and his way of coaching that it only gets worse. It will until someone like Kirby Smart is back in Athens.

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 4 months ago #70922 by averagedawg
Replied by averagedawg on topic Lesson Learned "and" Applied By Saban Pupil
To be successful at South Carolina you have to recruit heavily in Georgia.
Smart fits the bill.

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #70923 by Buc

averagedawg wrote: To be successful at South Carolina you have to recruit heavily in Georgia.
Smart fits the bill.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Bet this folks . . . . McElwain has the gator program turned around.

If Kirby Smart ends up in South Carolina, he will be the most feared force as a head coach there as anyone that has preceded him. Yes, that includes Spurrier.

Bryan McClendon is the best recruiter that we have had for a long time. Pruitt and Company arrived and gave BMac much needed recruiting help.

Kirby Smart and most of the existing staff in Athens now, Georgia football would do a complete turnaround.

High time UGA hired a defensive minded and Saban trained coach to take over the program in the Classic City. Chapel Bell would sound loud and clear more often, much more.

Foley hired McElwain, and what happened? First year as gator head coach.

Someone explain to me why they would prefer Richt over Smart? Maybe I am not smart enough to understand.

Folks it ain't about money, UGA has money. There is a GROUP that has controlled the Red and Black for far too long.

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 4 months ago #70924 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Lesson Learned "and" Applied By Saban Pupil
Kirby may have his chance to come to UGA if they lose to Ga Southern Saturday.

That IS possible....

PVBDAWG
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, averagedawg

More
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds