Forum

Veterans

8 years 5 months ago #70738 by growl
Replied by growl on topic Veterans
Thanks for that picture Buc, I had forgotten how much she meant to me. That particular ship is the main reason that I joined the Navy. There was an article in the news with a picture of a ship that had run aground and for whatever reason it triggered me to join as crazy as that seems. I joined after getting a waiver because I admitted to using something that we have all become accustomed to discussing. To cut this short I actually got stationed on the Hermitage, and realized that I was on the Ship that I had seen in the newspaper, she grew on me. So thanks Buc for bringing back those memories. Sorry for boring you folks, but I'm old and I get long winded on occasion.

The sun shines on a different Dawg every day
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, averagedawg, DAWGtm

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #70739 by sadlerdawg
Replied by sadlerdawg on topic Veterans
Buc, Growl, I am privileged to have served on many fine Naval bases and ships with many exceptional sailors.

The SMART era CONTINUES!!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, averagedawg, yankeedawg1, growl, scooby

More
8 years 5 months ago #70740 by growl
Both of my brothers wished to be in the Navy with me, they would often say to me that I was the lucky one.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, averagedawg, yankeedawg1

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #70741 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Veterans
sadlerdawg and Chief Growl . . . . Below is the ship that I crossed the Pacific on in 1959. "Stuff" had already started in Viet Nam, just not passed along to the public at that point. Viet Nam actually started under President/General Eisenhower.

Some folks back home did not like us at that point. We had our orders and there was a draft at that point. Some chose to cross the border and take up residence in Canada. Many of those that were in the draft and volunteers, did not appreciate what happened during and after that time period. Those like "Hanoi Jane Fonda". Will leave that alone, but many of us remember and will never forget. Reminded us of WWII and "Tokyo Rose".

I say this . . . . see any emblem that has anything to do with Viet Nam on the back of a pickup truck, give them a thumbs up, it is still appreciated, even the government also spit in our face.

I will stop.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, averagedawg, yankeedawg1, growl

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #70742 by growl
I was stationed on an oiler AO-98 Calloosahatchee that looked a lot like that Buc. We had Steak and Lobster, Shrimp,Oyster Stew, all you could eat every Friday. Oh the joy of being on a supply ship. I'm not going to mention the # of hrs we worked back to back for those privileges.

The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, averagedawg, yankeedawg1, scooby

More
8 years 5 months ago #70743 by sadlerdawg
Replied by sadlerdawg on topic Veterans
I'm not fonda hanoi jane.

The SMART era CONTINUES!!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, averagedawg, yankeedawg1, DAWGtm, scooby

More
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds