Forum

Pound The "G"

8 years 7 months ago #68675 by Buc
Pound The "G" was created by Buc
Reading the article below, believe Coach Pruitt is as honest with us (fans) as he is with his defensive players.

In the interview Pruitt points out where he thinks the defense is in 2015 and where it was upon his arrival.

I often say this, never hurts to continue to "Pound the G". Coach Will Friend had as much to do with the turn around from a coaching aspect as has been accomplished in Athens maybe ever.

Under the last defensive coordinator, there was too much not accomplished from a teaching aspect. Looking back seems the defensive coaches were never on the same page. Became more obvious the longer we stuck with grantham and company. Whether grantham was asked to leave or did so on his own, defensively it was the best thing Georgia has done in years.

ogredawg mentioned after the 2014 Season was over that we need to shore up the defensive line. Reading the article below, appears the coaches are in agreement with that statement.

As the article states, Georgia has every reason to believe points will be put on the board by the offense. Probably be some points put on the board by the defense.

The defensive coaches know that they have a solid group of freshmen that are going to get playing time. The "newbies" are Coach Pruitt's selections. We now get a better feel for just how good Pruitt and Company are. As has been mentioned before, these defensive players are Pruitt and Company's chosen ones.

www.tonybarnhart.com/college-football/pr...-beyond-the-defense/
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #68676 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Pound The "G"
Jake Ganus is asked about special teams and whether or not he and other players are competing to get on those units:

Yes. That is a good question. I think so. I think what makes a special teams unit great is when your best players want to be on it. You have guys like Sony Michel who busts his butt. He works harder than anybody on special teams … That is all across the board on the team. Everyone is trying to get on it. I think our philosophy is the best 11 on special teams. I think that competition on kickoff, punt and kickoff return, all that stuff is really making us better in that phase. I’m excited to see that this fall.

Coach Ekeler is going to make a huge difference coaching the Special Teams. Wish we could lock Ekeler in for a few years. Don't believe it will happen, his stock is going to be too high a price for McGarity. Progressive changes are very difficult for some folks. I said that.

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #68677 by Dawg With Style
Replied by Dawg With Style on topic Pound The "G"
Well here is the new Ugah.

Buc I was watching that video early this morning Roquan Smith a lot is being said about him.

How Bout them Dawgs!!!!!!!

Ride it like you stole it
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

• Dawg With Style
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #68678 by Buc
DWS, Roquan Smith much like Lorenzo Carter was not an "average" high school football player. Anyone that has played the game knows that some are better than others. Some are head and shoulders above others.

One part of the Tony Barnhart article that grabbed my attention was the following comment from Pruitt.

“And the thing there is that we signed 17 defensive players in this recruiting class so there may be some guys who started last year who might not play as much,” said Pruitt. “We have a lot more runners and strikers on this defense. They will be young but I’m excited about it.”

Pruitt living up to the comments he made when first arriving in Athens. Going to play the best, regardless of "stars" or time in school. Freshman or Senior, makes no difference to this group of coaches. All of the defensive coaches are on the same page. When that happens players catch on quickly that they "earn" playing time in practice, no teachers/coaches pets here.

Another quote from Pruitt in the article.

“We learned how to go about our daily business last season,” said Pruitt. “It didn’t show on the field all the time but I think we laid the foundation for the years to come. I like where we are right now.”

Also like what Pruitt said in the interview . . . . "Years to come". Pruitt has a chance to be a "hot commodity" in college football, very hot.

One thing that I keep in mind.

There are teams in the SEC that also have excellent coaching and they have actually out recruited us in many areas.

We seem to be catching up with offensive line recruiting, hope that we never fall back into the Richt/Bobo recruiting and teaching along the offensive line.

Rob Sale I believe will do a great job. Leave him alone and let him do his "thing".
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, Dawg With Style

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 7 months ago #68679 by Buc
Nick Saban had this to say about his upcoming selection at the quarterback position for Alabama. Think the same thought process would work nicely for Georgia.

“I don’t think that we need to have a quarterback who has to win the game,” Saban said. “I think that if we could have someone who could play well enough and make good choices and decisions and not make the major errors that would affect the game, that probably would keep us in the game.

"With the rest of the players that we have, I think we’d have a good chance.”

Words of wisdom from a very successful D1 College Football Head Coach.

Mark Richt has said recently that he, not the fans and media will select the starting quarterback. Ok with that sir if you improve on some "past choices" as starters. You receive a very good salary each year to make those decisions. Those of us not in the arena much prefer "solid decisions" . . . . based on the "overall" good for "OUR PROGRAM".

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 7 months ago #68680 by Buc
Have posted the video below on Mark Hocke several times. Another indication that things are being done differently in Athens. This kind of S&C training is different than what we have had, maybe ever, not maybe, different than what we have done before 2015.

Mark Hocke started "Pound the G" upon his arrival. It was time for "change" in Athens.

Reminds me of Coach Erk. He is the one that started the GATA in Athens.

Coaching, serious coaching from assistants has been needed in the Classic City since Erk left for Statesboro. Might be that the efforts of those in Athens now recognize needed change and have done so.

If you have never watched the video with Erk below, encourage you to do so.

I believe this is the same philosophy that Pruitt and Company are teaching our Georgia players. The players understand Pruitt, the players that played for Erk understood.

www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020915aaa.html

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.032 seconds