Forum

From Athens- Friday Thoughts

8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #67592 by yankeedawg1
From Athens- Friday Thoughts was created by yankeedawg1
Good Morning All,

Summer like weather this week in the Classic City. It has been a quite week on campus….very good thing let’s keep it that way plzzzzz.

This week’s Blue Plate Special: SQDD-SQDDP2-PHNTBDIOW

Same question different day

Several months back I asked the question what do our recruits see in our program that we the fans don’t?

One answer that was offered is that they don’t see anything different…they are here looking for a path to the NFL.

Fair enough but imo there is another level to the attraction of Georgia.

The recruits have been around are coaches to pick up on the feeling that this group coaches have a high level of respect for each other and a commitment to teach each player to the best of their ability.

PT is bases on effort and ability..and not favoritism ….huge change in the way we use to do business…..

There is no BS in the building. Teenagers will flush out BS faster than you can say the two words.

As I posted earlier ….the change is real this year… we are in line to sign the top 3 DL in the state….for 2016….. Be clear that I am not saying that this “change” will result in more wins on our record but the odds favor that happening. Building quality depth…a very good thing

It was a very short time ago that this group would be heading elsewhere. Elsewhere being west or south of Athens…Fact!!

Same question different day part 2

About the same time I asked the first question I asked what our new DC saw in Athens that we the fans are missing

That it was a step up to move from the ACC to the SEC and the pay and promises were excellent was an answer offered.

Both are true but one again I think there is more to the story

CJP – had/has a plan in his mind on how to build his career

IMO there were several other jobs available in the SEC or BIG10 that would have jumped to sign him

No he wanted Georgia….he understood the Bulldog Brand and what it would take to put the luster and shine back on the Dawgs.

He was good for us and we were a good fit for him.

In one short year he and his staff have taken steps in the right direction to make this happen.. Are we there yet… no…but I think the compass is pointing in the right direction…..

Past History Not the Big Deal It Once Was

There was a time when winning National Championships in college football was a big deal

Looking at 2015 it is a bigger deal to the senior alumni than the players who are playing the game.

The wow factor for the current players is how many players the team or conference sent to the NFL. And can they get me to the next level.

Look at the last two years…no SEC team won the Natty

However, the SEC has sent more players to the NFL the past 6 years than any other conference…..follow the money…. They don’t pass out Bentley’s for winning the NC.

Tim Tebow has 2 NC on his resume..zero Super Bowls wins

Peyton and Eli – zero Nattys …. 3 Super Bowls wins between them…

Not saying it is correct but this generation lives in the present.

Social Media and smart phones make news and events age and lose interest very quickly.

They want to make their own history not recall or relive someone else’s.

This may change as they age and get a different view of life. Time will answer that question.

Pause and give thanks

Growl..... T & P 's continue

Second Horse race for the Triple Crown Saturday-enjoy

Buc- enjoy your bloodies and the horses

Have a great weekend and a safe week

As always “Go Dawgs”!!!

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, DAWGtm, growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 11 months ago #67593 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
A single thought on Jeremy Pruitt's decision to move to Athens.

Those that follow college football recruiters understand that the Atlanta Metro Area produces a serious number of qualified D1 players.

Many of the top college coaches and their associates set up camp in the ATL Metro Area year round. That much talent requires live in professionals. Not to be mislead by the word professionals . . . . Many of the college recruiters are “professionals” in the areas they work. That would be recruiting high school players.

It goes without saying that prior to Pruitt and Company there was this yoke that hung around UGA's neck, that being unable to be a true competitor in the entire State of Georgia for its top recruits. We have been over that before.

Yd1 you mention above in the BPS that we are in line to sign the top 3 DL in the state….for 2016. Guess that bears out something has changed in the Classic City.

Question for me to myself . . . . Why did it take 15 years to figure the “game plan out”? Next question to myself . . . . Why is it Georgia in most of the college polls for 2015 are predicted to finish no better than second in the SEC East. Lack of talent? I guess not.

I also look at how National Championships are won. Whether we are for or against Tim Tebow, one thing for sure, his head coach knew how to use him, then left Florida and repeated his coaching efforts in Ohio. I continue to be realistic, having been over the same path too many times both on and off blogs. We have a player much like Tebow in Athens, name is Faton Bauta. Wonder what urban meyer could have accomplished with Faton? I have thoughts.

Hard to get too pumped up about “what might happen in 2015”. Traveled that path with others that said, “show me”, don't “tell me”. I remember this saying well and have used it before . . . . “First time shame on you, second time shame on me”. That has been played out now for many of the last 15 years under our current head coach. I don't have any more “second times”. Root for the players wearing the Red and Black, that will never change.

Have a great weekend. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: sadlerdawg, yankeedawg1, DAWGtm, growl

More
8 years 11 months ago #67594 by DAWGtm
Replied by DAWGtm on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
Whether we are for or against Tim Tebow, one thing for sure, his head coach knew how to use him,

Buc, this jumped out to me from your post and I believe is CMR biggest fault. He is dead set to mold players to his style instead of modifying his system to utilize the players talent. Maybe the new blood we have in the coaching staff could change this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #67595 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
Say what you will about this group of coaches but when the HC talks stooooooopid you just can't fix it, I don't care who you bring to Athens.

Richt said when Barber didn’t boom it this spring, the positive thing is the punts weren’t often returnable.

“The only thing good I can say about if you miss-hit the ball and it ends up being 36 yards or something, usually there’s no return, it’s a fair catch, and you’re not getting somebody taking it to the house,” Richt said.

“You can kick it too far and too flat, and give them too much space then all of a sudden the guy takes it to the house. So the only good point was when we were mis-hitting some of them they were balls that just really weren’t returnable. We always knew that the defense would get to line up and play.”

soooooo punting from inside your 10 yard line or inside the end zone going 36 yards gives the opposing team the ball around your 30-40 yard line giving most teams an automatic 3 points....and just how many games have we lost by 3 points or less in the last 6-7 years...can't believe CMR said this the other day after the debacle with the pooch against Tech. Don't care how good your D is 90% of the time it is 3 points especially in our league.

But we do not need a special teams coach :whistle:

thecountrynation.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, DAWGtm, growl

More
8 years 11 months ago #67596 by DAWGtm
Replied by DAWGtm on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
^^^^^ that.

But that's is the part of being a HC he excels at no matter how big of a poop sandwich we make he can spin it to make it seem like its good for you. And most of the fan base will take a big ole bite.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
8 years 11 months ago #67597 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
It is our past ability to shoot ourselves in the foot and lose games we should win that

Comes into play why we are ranked were we are. Not the talent level. Or Georgia being Georgia

Why has it taken 15 years for us to find a staff of assistant coaches who teach and recruit with the

Best of college football? CMR. and the Row ? We have been just good enough to keep the

Cash flowing and growing. While keeping job security for the HC. Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds