Forum

From Athens- Friday Thoughs

9 years 1 day ago - 9 years 1 day ago #67326 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
Keith Jackson, grew up just outside Carrollton, Georgia, spot in the road, Roopville, Georgia. Proud Marine. Keith also liked to spend time in Winder, Georgia, he was from the "dirt". I use that work "dirt" sometmes, has a lot of meaning to some of us older folks. Basically shows that we worked for what we got. Keith's special phrase . . . . "Whoa Nellie".

Want to see what Keith Jackson was made of . . . . watch the video below, and close to the end, listen to what he had to say to the "Bear".

Larry Munson, Keith Jackson and others. Good ole Georgia folks. I said that.

The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, ogredawg, yankeedawg1, growl, Dawg With Style

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 day ago - 9 years 1 day ago #67329 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
Keith and Larry gave meaning to the words .....gentleman's .....gentleman. Blessed to have enjoyed

Both...... thanks Buc for the background on KJ. Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 1 day ago #67330 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
Thank you for the reminder yd1. :)

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #67357 by Dawg With Style
Replied by Dawg With Style on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
Growl start a Growl Monday Edition talk if u have time hope all is well.

Nice weather headed this way thanks God I was scared Noah was own his way back!!!!! :woohoo:

How Bout them Dawgs!!!!!!!

Ride it like you stole it
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg

• Dawg With Style
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 11 months ago #67358 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
Buc, sorry it took me so long to reply - long weekend for me . . . really long one.

I don't think we'll be competitive simply because when we have been competitive, we've had a great QB. Notice I'm not saying "elite" QB, but great college football QB. Greene, Shockley, Stafford, Murray. JTIII was okay, but he was "filler". Cox was above average, but we were biding our time waiting for Murray. HM did a really good job last year - like I said, he honestly didn't cost us any games (I'm counting the SC game against whoever in our coaching ranks decided not to call 4 runs in a row to the best RB in football).

But as of right now, not one of our QBs has been capable of at least getting the NOD over the other two?!

I refuse to believe that Faton Bauta is being somehow "picked on" or "discriminated against" because they are afraid he might make the coaches look good. Same for the other two guys. The only rational explanation is that not one of those guys has demonstrated he is "THE" guy. Maybe they are all so great that the coaches just can't make up their minds, but that stretches my belief, since three great QBs at once is a little much. To me, this means we have 3 "fillers" back there, and all the buzz about the kid in Washington is because the coaches know he's their next chance to have a great QB.

Then, I go back to when Stafford was a freshman, and Murray. Nothing against any of our great QBs, but as freshmen they all made in-game decisions that cost us games. That's why I just don't see 2016 suddenly being a great year either.

Don't get me wrong - a great offensive line can win games - so can a great defense, and I recognize that we either have both or we are close. But until our coaches can at least tell us that we have "that" guy, I'm not optimistic at all. Unless we get a great QB and FAST, I see us losing to 'Bama, Tennessee, Florida and Abuurn this fall. Maybe Tech, too.

The following year, I expect either a freshman QB or more "filler" until he's up to speed (and that is assuming the kid in Washington turns out to be great).

Buc, I don't like being negative, you know that. I'm just trying to figure out what is going to suddenly happen that is going to put a signal caller in the game for us before 2017 who knows how to play against SEC defenses. In the past I felt like I could do that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg

More
8 years 11 months ago #67368 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
Wow, I'm behind. Work this spring has been a BEAR. But I have a few minutes.

Keith Jackson was one of the stars of my childhood. So was Larry Munson. (Actually, as for Larry Munson, he was - and still IS - just a part of my life, as was Lewis Grizzard and Furman Bisher.)

I think Jackson and Munson both resonated with me so much because neither of them sounded like they were "trying too hard" to be something they weren't. Neither tried to be "like someone" else. They were who they were, and just seemed to enjoy the game of college football. When you listened to either one of those guys, you really felt like you were sitting there with one of your best friends, enjoying a football game. I was lucky enough to have met Munson (as a close friend of mine was his television producer/director in Athens during the late 80s). A person of his stature could have easily been smug to a kid like me, but he was nothing but genuine and kind.

I never had the pleasure to meet Keith Jackson, but I've never heard a cross word about the man, and I'm sure he would have lived up to the image he created so well. God Bless you and keep you, Keith Jackson!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, yankeedawg1

More
Time to create page: 0.035 seconds