Forum

Board Thoughts on G-Day Game Talent

8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #67137 by growl
Replied by growl on topic Board Thoughts on G-Day Game Talent
At the VA today for checkup, gives me time to get thoughts together.

I can see that the OL has made great strides in the last couple of years, don't let up now!

Somebody has paid attention to the DL needs, as well as getting some much needed help in the defensive backfield. Things we've been squawking about maybe didn't fall on deaf ears.

Depth building seems to be a priority!

Strength and conditioning, I still have concerns in that area!

Special teams! How many more times does this need to be mentioned before it is addressed?

The sun shines on a different Dawg every day
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1, dawgs_fans_dad

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #67138 by dawgs_fans_dad
Replied by dawgs_fans_dad on topic Board Thoughts on G-Day Game Talent
"Special teams! How many more times does this need to be mentioned before it is addressed?"

If it doesn't get addressed after essentially costing the 'dawgs the GT game, it may never.

Interestingly, GT pooched in the Orange Bowl and it didn't work very well for them either.

With the defense I am anticipating in Athens in '15-'16, kick the ball out of the end zone and dare the other guy to go 80 yards.
Or 50 if they need a field goal.

Hopefully the defense and offense are good enough to make special teams less impactful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, DAWGtm, growl

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #67139 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Board Thoughts on G-Day Game Talent
growl went back a couple of times and read your post #26.

You posted . . . .

Somebody has paid attention to the DL needs, as well as getting some much needed help in the defensive backfield. Things we've been squawking about maybe didn't fall on deaf ears.

Depth building seems to be a priority!

Allow me this. Nick Saban coached under Bill Belichick in Cleveland. Saban learned a lot from Belichick, especially the "building depth" part of the game. Anyone that pays attention to what Belichick has done since becoming the New England Patriots head coach, easy to see that he always finds a way to trade a player and pick up draft choices. Trades a player before his career is over, but toward the end and it usually allows Belichick a second, third or fourth round pick, or two. That is the difference between Belichick and "most" of the other NFL head coaches.

Nick Saban got ahead in the SEC coaching game when arriving in Tuscaloosa. Always looking further out than most coaches. Always preparing for next season or the season after.

Watching closely the changes in Athens with the arrivals from the State of Alabama. growl believe we are seeing the same plan being introduced to the Red and Black.

Seems to me prior to the arrival of Pruitt and Company, our coaching staff spent some "selfish hours" trying to improve their side of the ball, not thinking about a year or two down the road. Improving their stock, looks good on their resumes, makes for empty holes in a very short time.

Maybe Rob Sales will apply the same method on the offensive side of the ball. We were past due for coaching of this caliber. Some of us don't have another 15 or so years to get lost in the bushes.

Good post growl, glad to see more "real" football preparation being shared between many of us.

When was the last time anyone saw Belichick smile? He is all about football, hook or crook.

Hope the VA visit went well. :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, growl

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 11 months ago #67140 by dawgs_fans_dad
Replied by dawgs_fans_dad on topic Board Thoughts on G-Day Game Talent
Spot on about Belichick. I heard someone talking about the last 5 (I think) drafts. Over those years the Falcons had 21 picks in the first 3 rounds. The Patriots had 31.

Building Depth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #67141 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Board Thoughts on G-Day Game Talent
dawgs_fans_dad, the Atlanta Falcons hired one of Belichick's folks, trying to do something "different". Thomas Dimitroff.

Atlanta Falcons did the same thing with the hiring of Rich McKay. My opinion of McKay, not much. See where McKay has been removed from his NFL position.

Beginning to think that Arthur has finally seen the light, have said the same about our head coach in Athens. The hire Blank made, bringing Dan Quinn in to run the Falcons is the best move "ever" by Blank.

Arthur Blank not unlike Mark Richt, needs to get out of the way, or recognize that "many" of his decisions have been "stoopid". Yes, I said that.

Rich McKay found his way into the NFL because his Dad was the head coach at Tampa Bay. Rich McKay was a POS in Tampa. Those that would like to "discuss" that point . . . . bet this . . . . I was once upon a time, from the beginning of the franchise a Falcon supporter. Always have liked the colors . . . . Red and Black.

Poorly managed franchise, much like most or many of the last 15 years in Athens.

Dan Quinn has his work cut out trying to improve the Falcon's lot. He is a kick ass, take names football coach. Won't turn the team around in one year . . . . same can be said for Pruitt, takes time and . . . . Leadership.

profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/30...mpetition-committee/

Last paragraph in the article above . . . .

Regardless, McKay’s boss seems to be fully inclined to keep McKay around, even though McKay was deemed to be sufficiently responsible for the situation to lose at least temporarily his spot on the league’s most influential committee.
The following user(s) said Thank You: growl

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #67142 by Dawg With Style
Replied by Dawg With Style on topic Board Thoughts on G-Day Game Talent
Growl glad your back.

CJP moving the LB around nice to see spring being used the right way.

Buc looks like Thurman is doing good.

Got this from Dogbytes:

"Georgia returned to the practice field Tuesday after the first spring scrimmage with some changes made on defense.

Junior college transfer Chuks Amaechi was working at outside linebacker, where he got plenty of attention from assistant coach Kevin Sherrer.

Redshirt freshman Keyon Brown moved from outside linebacker to the defensive line and freshman Natrez Patrick was with the inside linebackers after shifting from outside linebacker.

“Natrez, he just had a natural feel for it,” first-team inside linebacker Reggie Carter said of the 6-3, 250-pounder from Mays High in Atlanta. “He can play any of them. He can play outside. He can play inside. That kid is a baller. You can tell he loves football the way he practices. …Even today, he didn’t know none of the stuff, but the feel he had for it, it was natural. It was unreal.”

Jordan Jenkins said he and fellow outside linebacker Davin Bellamy talked after an earlier practice that Amaechi might make the move from inside linebacker.

“Chuks, he’s a fast cat,” Jenkins said of the Avondale, Ariz. native listed at 6-3 and 220 pounds. “He’s not the tallest, but he can bend and he’s quick as ever, man. …I don’t know if it’s just a thing for today or he’s doing both. He’s a heck of an athlete. I’m pretty sure he could play both of them.”

On the defensive line, nose guard Chris Mayes said the 6-3, 247-pound Brown “definitely is learning. He’s getting the hang of it. He’s a fighter. He learned from the outside, putting his hand in the dirt.”

Here is a little more info own L.Carter-7 from Dogbytes also.

"Leonard Floyd and Jordan Jenkins deciding to bypass entering the NFL draft this year was celebrated by Georgia fans."

"Rising sophomore Lorenzo Carter, believe it or not, also said he was happy to have them back with the Bulldogs even if it seemingly meant a more crowded path to get on the field at the outside linebacker position.

“I was extremely excited,” Carter said.

Carter chose Georgia as a five-star recruit out of Norcross High School in 2014 over Florida, Florida State and LSU, but all the talent on the depth chart was something to consider, he said.

“At first I was hesitant to come because of players like Leonard Floyd and Jordan Jenkins thinking I would be playing behind them and I wouldn’t have a chance to play,” Carter said this week.

Georgia coaches still found a way to get Carter on the field. He started the final five games last season, three times with Jenkins and Floyd also in the lineup with Floyd working at the star position. Carter expects more of the same this fall.

“I think we’ll find a way to get all three of us on the field,” Carter said. “The best players are going to play. We’re just out there competing right now to see who’s the best.”

Floyd was considered a possible NFL first-round pick if he left after his redshirt sophomore season. Jenkins also would have been closely evaluated by NFL teams after racking up 15 sacks in three seasons.

“They’re great athletes,” defensive end Josh Dawson said. “I just let coach (Jeremy) Pruitt make a hard decision with that.”

Carter’s four-and-a-half sacks last season were third on the team behind Floyd’s six and Jenkins’ five — and he’s not resting on what he did last season. He led Georgia in tackles in the Belk Bowl win against Louisville with eight and recorded a sack.

“I’ve got to do more,” said Carter, seventh on the team with 41 tackles and second in quarterback pressures with 18. “More than I did last year. If you’re not getting better, you’re getting worse.”

Carter arrived to media interviews this week in a sleeveless shirt, with bulging muscles on display.

“Once you feel bigger, you’ve got to show it off,” said the 6-foot-6 Carter, who says he’s now at 245 pounds, some 20 more than when

he got to campus last year.

“I feel faster than ever,” Carter added.

Carter only has one season in the books, but safety Quincy Mauger says Carter is becoming a vocal leader on the practice field. That’s coming with Floyd out for the spring as he recovers from shoulder surgery and redshirt sophomore Davin Bellamy also sidelined this spring by injury.

Those practice reps are allowing Carter to feel more comfortable in dropping into coverage, something he didn’t do much in high school. Coaches are cross-training outside linebackers to pick up the concepts to allow them to play inside linebacker, defensive end or even free safety, Carter said.

Once on the field, Mauger knows what to expect from Carter."

“I know,” Mauger said, “he’s going to ball out.”

How Bout them Dawgs!!!!!!!

Ride it like you stole it
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, growl

• Dawg With Style
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.043 seconds