Forum

Decision Making and Georgia Player Improvement

9 years 3 days ago - 9 years 3 days ago #67083 by Buc
ogredawg, you and I go back a lot of years when it comes to FSU football. Both of us know that Mark Richt was a valuable property under Bobby Bowden as a quarterback coach and later offensive coordinator for FSU. One of the best moves that Bowden made while at FSU was the hiring of Mark Richt. That was exactly the "calling" for Richt, the job that he was perfectly suited for.

Since 2007 or so, I have serious questions about whether or not Richt or Bobo was calling "certain" plays in Athens. Both were totally closed mouth after games about who called what. Sometimes Richt would take the blame for errors made on both sides of the ball, but he was not open to all conversations. Will add this. The beat writers that muster in Butts-Mehre have done less than a solid fact finding mission with their questions. Part of keeping their seats.

Do I for a minute believe that Mark Richt will not be in on "every play" called by Schottenheimer, he will. Quite frankly, that is Richt's job. As far as Coach Will Friend is concerned, think most that read this board know where I stand on that.

Back to our head coach for a bit. Have said more than once and believe this to be honest and quite frankly "factual". We are seeing a repeat of what Bobby Bowden did in his latter years. Brought in Jimbo Fisher and the "rug" was pulled from beneath him. Hard feelings, damn sure was between FSU, Bowden and Fisher along with much of the alumni and fans.

Don't misunderstand where I stand on Pruitt. Not saying he is ready for the head coaching position at Georgia. He still has "time" on his contract and believe he will honor that. After that, as is suggested, we will have more "real time" to judge the validity of Pruitt moving forward.

Would say this. Mike Bobo making less than Schottenheimer after his many years on the Richt staff, is now the head coach at Colorado State University. Head coach not offensive coordinator. Many of us will watch what happens in Colorado closely, me thinks.

Back to Pruitt and Company. He put together what appears to be a solid group of coaches that were chosen by him. First year as defensive coordinator. Richt is entering his 15th year at Georgia and has yet to show the ability that Pruitt did in one year hiring those that will coach under him. Pruitt in my estimation will be a head coach, when . . . . don't know.

I remember Nick Saban's first year or two at Alabama. Many of those players were not recruited by him. He did seem to get better when he had "his players" in Tuscaloosa. Saban's first two years at Alabama, kicked a lot of players off of the team, guess he knew what he was doing.

Down to this. This 2015 team is going to be a awakening for many of us. Might be that myself and others are far off base, but as suggested above . . . . let's play the game(s) and there will be a lot to say. Many of the teams that we play this season will be handing the ball off, pass rush should be and I believe it will be a force. Does not give the other side a lot of time to sit in the pocket. 2015, we will get to see some of Pruitt's players with their hands in the dirt, and I will definitely say this . . . . Coach Tracy Rocker understands 3/4's, 4/3's and variations of both.

Bet this . . . . Pruitt will be calling the defensive schemes. Stand up coach that has put the "spark" back in Georgia football. From where I stand, that is the truth if all that I read is real. Won't be a "whether or not" as has been the case with Richt/Bobo on who called what.

Much truth in this statement you made above thriller.

I'm an O-Line guy for sure, but what good is the O-Line going to do us, if the guy distributing the ball has no clue? Eventually even BAD D1 defenses figure out poor QBs and make them make mistakes. And those are usually BIG mistakes.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 3 days ago - 9 years 3 days ago #67084 by Buc
yankeedawg1, returned to your post #16 in this thread. Sometimes I have to read posts more than once to actually get the full effect of what is being said.

I have read where Ramsey said that Schottenheimer will tighten the screws further down the line, think he was referring to G Day/Fall practice. When I read what Ramsey said, somehow did not draw a lot from that. Understandable that a new coach will go through a "look/see" period.

Understand that we have to as ogredawg and thriller mention, give him some slack. My thoughts at this point
is replacing our offensive coordinator with a contract large enough to cover the numbers that Mike Bobo and Will Friend together did not match. Schottenheimer $950,000. Mike Bobo and Will Friend combined, $875,000.

Not sure, but I believe that raises have to be approved by those further up the ladder than our head coach. To this point when raises have been mentioned in the press, McGarity has been the center of attention, he has claimed that as part of his job. Truthfully I have a problem with the way McGarity comes up with numbers. Did Richt demand that Schottenheimer be paid the amount that he will receive, or was that a result of Richt/McGarity?

Frustrates me playing catch up in so many areas, and that sadly is the truth with much of what goes on with our football program, and has for too long.

Want to see more than what has been described about our offensive coordinator's changes thus far. I sincerely hope you are right yd1 when you say the "Bark" will come. Even better, it would be great if the coordinator did not have to "Bark" and our offensive talent won't need to have too much said. I know he is new on the job, just having some problems with "numbers" and higher ups, can't blame our offensive coordinator for getting everything he feels entitled to. Going to be a lot of eyes on Schottenheimer, comes with the territory. Here is hoping he is "all that". Went through this with grantham.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 3 days ago #67085 by Buc
Steve really like being able to view post #'s when starting or replying to a post. Say again, like the new setup.

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 2 days ago #67088 by Buc
Enjoyed listening to what Greg Pyke had to say about conditioning on the offensive side of the ball.

Greg says that defenses are going to have their hands full with Georgia's offense, now that they are in top shape. Looked real good last season, so if there is improvement over last year, this could get interesting.

Takes me to this . . . . offensive line lining up against our defensive front, both training under Hocke, could get real interesting. All of the reports coming out of Athens from the players, both offensive and defensive say they are in the best shape of their football lives.

One thing for certain . . . . player lining up and facing Greg Pyke is definitely facing off with a future NFL guard. Could play in the NFL now.

Nick Chubb has given praise to the offensive line (most smart running backs do) and there is little doubt that Nick is ready for the 2015 Season.

Depth on the offensive line this season might be or probably is the best we have ever had in Athens. Not a lot separates the players talent wise all along the front.

Starting center yet to be named, but that will probably be settled sooner than many of us might think. There is talent available to play the position and play it well.

This offensive line should be a blessing to the player that lines up at the quarterback position. Offensive line depth (quality depth) allows an inexperienced quarterback to make some mistakes but not always pay the ultimate price.

Coaches Brown, Sales, Lilly and Schottenheimer have very talented personnel to work with. As Greg Pyke said, we are in the best shapes of our lives, matter of fact most of the players are saying the same thing.

With talent like we have, time for our head coach to be sure he has his game in the best shape it can be. Think twice, long and hard about fourth quarter decision making. You don't wear the pads, you are paid to make the right decisions. So, get the mind right and not drop a game or two this year because of incredibly bad decision making.

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.038 seconds