Forum

Defensive Depth, Not The "Georgia Way" . . . .

9 years 4 weeks ago #67062 by Buc
Continue to talk about "Depth".

Defense is entering its second season under Pruitt/Rocker and Company. Football talk, second year is a short period of time to build depth that we seem to have. Think the answer is . . . . We have "coaching depth". Missing in action for too long.

Appears to me that some of the talent coming in later in 2015 will surely get a Red Shirt. That has not been the case, especially before Pruitt was named as Defensive Coordinator. Those that will Red Shirt are very talented, but they are not up to speed on the defensive schemes. Spend a year "learning" and it adds to building that "wall" that has been talked about in Athens, but has not happened until Pruitt and Company arrived.

Like it or not, we are recipients of the Alabama way of "building", defensively. Have yet to read or watch one Georgia player say that they are not in step with the way they are "training and learning" with the replacements to the grantham way, they buy into the Pruitt way.

Pruitt asked for and got a 3 year contract at the beginning. Seems he understood just how long it would take to keep the Georgia defense performing year after year. The defensive coaches also know that there are other teams in the SEC "loaded" with talent. Not like we are going to walk onto the field and be head and shoulders above other SEC teams. Alabama has done that through building "depth", sitting young men out of high school, allowing the coaches to teach them how to play in the SEC.

Not one saying "wait until next year". Won't say that now . . . . but I am glad it is now possible to watch involved defensive coaches . . . . have to excuse me for the following statement. Not the "Georgia Way". The "Georgia Way" has gotten us to a place of mediocrity under those willing to accept it. Happy with 10 wins? You and I separate right there. I like the way the "Georgia Way" has been taken apart in the Classic City. Taken apart by defensive coaches that are not afraid to "speak out", not only speak out during practice, willing to speak out about things that "others" have not had the backbone to do. Indoor Practice Facility is just one instance, there are many more that were pushed under the rug by McGarity and Richt.

Offense . . . . will be interesting to see how Schottenheimer does in his first year. Will he run the offensive show, or . . . . have some feed back when it comes to calling crucial plays in the fourth and deciding quarter in most games? There is a lot of "depth" on the offense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: swampdawg, yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 4 weeks ago #67063 by Buc
swampdog, glad to see you back. Noticed that you have been reading the site regularly.

When you first came on board some of your posts were much like what is being said in this thread.

Good to see you posting, all sites depend on their "players" to support board efforts. :)

Notice the AJC has changed their way of allowing readers and posters to be heard. What I don't like about that is the fact that the AJC beat writers can enter Butts-Mehre and sit with Mark Richt and others, then return home and make fans sign on with them to hear what they have to report . . . . I call that privileged. Fans and supporters are the reason there is a Butt-Mehre or a "supposed" Indoor Practice Facility in our life span.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 4 weeks ago - 9 years 4 weeks ago #67064 by Dawg With Style
Replied by Dawg With Style on topic Defensive Depth, Not The "Georgia Way" . . . .
I got this from the Macon Telegraph fits in nice with this thread:

“I did some good things, but there is always room for improvement,” Carter said. “Just trying to get better each day, go back and watch game film. Just get stronger, play more physical and go out there and have fun.”

Sophomore Davin Bellamy also played in 10 games last season and was sometimes featured in a package with Jenkins, Floyd and Carter. It might be harder to get all the outside linebackers in the same set this season with some more talent that has yet to arrive in Athens.

The Bulldogs signed four-star outside linebackers Gary McCrae and Natrez Patrick on National Signing Day, all of whom are highly regarded. Patrick is the only player who enrolled early in January and is going through spring practice.

“I knew that Georgia was a big place for outside linebackers and backers in general,” Patrick said. “I knew that they had some of the best coaches and I could come here and get a great education so that definitely played a role.”

Carter even pointed to some third-string players showing their potential, most notably Johnny O’Neal, who played in eight games during his freshman year and just one last season.

“I was actually kidding around with Jordan Jenkins talking about how many outside linebackers we could put on the field at once,” Carter said. “We just talking like we could possibly put five of us on the field at once and just still be able to play and not miss a step.”

It’s unlikely that Georgia will have a rotation of seven or eight outside linebackers, but the potential is there. The Bulldogs were being talked about last season as having one of the best outside linebacker duos in the nation and likely will be in the same discussions this season.

Georgia will have to wait until summer workouts to see its entire unit, but there should be no lack of pressure come G-Day.

“I’m not going to have to play when I’m tired. We’ve got firepower coming off the bench,” Carter said ;) .

Read more here: www.macon.com/2015/03/21/3653229_georgia...l?rh=1#storylink=cpy

How Bout them Dawgs!!!!!!!

Ride it like you stole it
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

• Dawg With Style
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds