Forum

A wish come true, Bobo going Byebye?

9 years 3 months ago #65693 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic A wish come true, Bobo going Byebye?
Getting late, have one more area that I want to cover.

Since Will Friend came to Athens, there was very little about the coach in the press. Trying to assemble an offensive line, that in my opinion had been ignored for far too long.

Said many times on this board that offensive line is where the game starts once the kickoff has been placed down.

Going to mention the offensive lines again, not ours in previous years, but Bama's year after year.

Will Friend kept his nose to the grindstone and this year (2014) good things occurred.

Mark Richt and Mike Bobo never for some reason understood the importance of an offensive line. Both were quarterbacks when they wore cleats, as I have said more than once on this board, what did those two not understand about winning games with offensive linemen.

Takes me to this. Head Coach Mike Bobo at this point has taken one Georgia coach with him . . . . Will Friend, offensive line coach. Did the light finally go on with Bobo? Is Mike Bobo's reasoning that the reason Will Friend is going with him solely because of friendship, or . . . . will say again . . . . might be that the "light" went on in 2014.

Take this any way you want . . . . Our head coach does not understand the different facets of football coaching. That is proven. Have the time, check other teams in the SEC and their offensive line recruiting. One last thing . . . . why do we lose so many highly rated offensive linemen to universities in the recruiting battles . . . . actually it is pretty simple, we prefer to have running backs three deep or more and our main push is to sign those that carry the football.

I suspect that frustration runs very deep in Athens. As others have said, we will see.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #65694 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic A wish come true, Bobo going Byebye?
Can Bobo do more with less...highly doubt it...Friend I understand moving up to OC problem is way less talent and you will be recruiting in Kalifornia and Texas against the Pac12 teams...Bobo was good enough to keep UGA a 2nd tier team now he goes to a 3rd tier team guess that was reason enough for CSU to hire him...they want to be a 2nd tier team...

talk about how the gaytors will improve under Mac is just that ...talk...will he be like Urban Crier and bring them back to the promised land...highly doubt that...I think the gaytors shot themselves in the foot with the hire...they could of done much better IMHO

thecountrynation.com

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #65695 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic A wish come true, Bobo going Byebye?
Not sure that everyone understands how much football talent there is in the State of Florida.

Many of the better football players, and there are lots of them, don't want to leave the Sunshine State, weather being one of the reasons.

Anyone that follows recruiting close enough will see that there will always be those that leave, only so many scholarships are allowed at every university. Might also notice that many of those that do leave remain in the SEC and the deep South when possible.

Comes down to one on ones as we all know. From all I can find out about McElwain's efforts, just the fact that Muschamp is gone was reason enough for recruiting to show vast improvement.

Think what most of us know down this way is that what is happening in Florida happened at Georgia when Pruitt arrived after grantham left. Testament to that is check out the recruiting that had Georgia at one time ranked in the top two or three in the nation. Call it anything we want, Jeremy Pruitt started the movement to get top players back in Athens. Fact.

At the present time, same is going on with McElwain, recruiting his butt off and players all over the State of Florida are listening.

Has been said on this board that Pruitt will not be all that as defensive coordinator at Georgia. We will see, everyone has an opinion.

In my way of thinking, McElwain is going to make things tougher for outsiders to take as much of the top talent out of Florida as has been happening recently. Will he turn things around and be a very good coach at Florida, time will tell. Know this, Nick Saban hired him to coach in Tuscaloosa, did not fire him, McElwain made the decision to leave for a head coaching position.

While McElwain went to a university that does not play in a conference equal to the SEC, one fact is this . . . . he improved the program, coached it and got the respect of those that coached against him. That in my mind is one (1) of the reasons that Mike Bobo left Georgia, been around a long time, was used and abused quite frankly by someone that has no room to crow.

Slice it, dice it, comes down to leadership, will always come down to that word. Is UGA coming apart at the seams? Speaking for myself, don't see a pretty picture developing in Athens at this point. Some speak of getting the right hire at offensive coordinator, ok. Will be damn interesting to see who wants to come and work for Richt/McGarity. Some say there will be a long list wanting to move to Athens. Long list like the hiring of grantham?

Anyone believe that Richt/McGarity are going to allow anyone to enter the "gate" and not be told how things will be? Once inside the tent, looks and smells a lot different than the outside. Bet that.

As far as coaching competence, don't really have to say again the lack of that in Athens. Every mullet wrapper and media outlet has spoken to that "serious issue". What will change? Will be interesting to watch after the Belk Bowl, the bowl that continues our head coaches string of bowl participations, sure makes the resume look good.

One more thing. Anyone read the article a couple of months back where the coaches were rated in the SEC. If not, Google it.

Might want to take a look at this hire, soon.

www.alligatorarmy.com/2014/12/23/7443597...dinator-jim-mcelwain

More
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds