Forum

From Athens- Friday Thoughts

9 years 4 months ago #65571 by yankeedawg1
From Athens- Friday Thoughts was created by yankeedawg1
Good Morning All,

The bowl picture in 2014 is completely different than preplayoff days.

Now there are only 2 bowl games that count as a gateway to the NCG for the winners.

All the others are fluff and filler IMO

Benefits are getting extra practices and looking at future lineups

It is another revenue stream for all parties…..mo money….

To me it amounts to a paid scrimmage

LF had shoulder surgery and will miss our game. He played all season with it and wants as much time to heal as possible before 2015

Will miss him chasing the Cardinal QB….chance for a new face to step up.

I understand the lack of interest for the Dry Goods –R- Us bowl game.

One last time in 2014 seeing Chubba Chubba runa runa the ball

Tired and disappointed with a side of frustration of what once again proved to be a season of missed opportunities.

Much said about our 10th wins possibility

Looking again at the FBE (Fan Based Equity) matrix it holds to form that winning the tenth game puts you at a plus one over the 9 game threshold to maintain FBE growth. Again mo money $$$

It will never be acceptable with us seniors that a 9 game winning season is anything to crow about when it fails to meet the team’s talent level.

A fan base that thinks a win over Troy counts the same as one over UA or any SEC team.

However that’s the new world norm in 2014 going forward

That is the business model that produces the most money for all parties.

I can’t help but think that a trophy for everyone who plays doesn’t figure into this thought process.

That and IMG,ESPN and all the equipment and uniform suppliers that pour huge amount of cash into the entertainment package we know as college football.

It also boggles this man’s mind that Texas brings in more cash than a team like Alabama and all its recent success

I would like to ask the fans of the following teams how they would feel winning a 10th game in 2014

South Carolina – with a 6 & 6 record heading to the Independence Bowl on 12/29. Fun reading some of the blogs and what is being said about the Ole Ball Sac Heads had them winning the SEC East.

TAM- with a 7 & 5 record playing in the Liberty Bowl on 12/29 which is aways from Colaeast and defeating the Sandstorm

Hogs- a sister kiss of 6 & 6- Texas Bowl on 12/29. Going to be a restless winter in Fayetteville

Just for spice add Oklahoma at 8 & 4 in the Russell Athletic Bowl 12/29

None have a shot at ten wins

Only one can reach 9 and the FBE threshold all others will take a hit on the money tree to some degree.

TIME TO SHIFT GEARS……

Christmas moves to the head of the line

Gift wrapping is at the top of my To Do list this weekend

Mini shopping trip will ace the gift list so bring it on Ho Ho guy

Russ is the special sled dog this year…. Go Dawgs !!!

This is my favorite time of the year.

To again remember the reason for the season

A promise made then fulfilled at Easter

Pause and give an extra word of thanks

A special shout out to Greg and his fellow vets-Merry Christmas !!

Have a great weekend and a safe week

As always “Go Dawgs”

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAWGtm, Dawg With Style

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 4 months ago #65572 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
yankeedawg1, thought about starting another thread for what I put together below. If this does not fit, or if there is any reason it should not be here, I will ask Steve to move it, or he can move it as he has done before.

I have deep thoughts, have done a lot of soul searching, trying very hard not to sit on the fence, time to step out has come. For far too long there has been a silence about Georgia Football from those of us that did not have a way to respond. We were beaten down by some unknowing fans (my opinion) and those that rely on finding their way into the Butts-Mehre Building.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For what it is worth, here it is.

Sat down with a cup of coffee this morning, pulled the following podcast up from the internet (link below) and listened to both young men chat and give their thoughts on the University of Georgia and basically what football means to our university.

While listening, could not help but think about the many conversations on this board that were in one way or another being repeated. Nothing wrong with that. My opinion, it should have been discussed long before now, it is called a right to know.

Will not call it decay, it is more along the lines of the mortar breaking down between the bricks. Takes a while for some to recognize that there are cracks that need repair.

Leadership is a word that is often used on this board, after listening to the podcast, first thought that came to mind was . . . . leadership, lack of. It has become apparent that “others” whether directly or indirectly involved have delved a bit deeper into the “handling” of the Georgia Football Program.

There are a lot of things that I could say, and will at some point. If you are truly interested in what “others” have to say concerning the one sport that basically foots the bill for other sports and salaries at the University of Georgia, take the time to listen to the podcast.

This thought . . . . You and I are not allowed an audience with the “Group”, yes there is a “Group”. Adams was huge when it came to the composing of the “Group” and those that were hired and some assistants promoted have remained loyal to the Adams way of running UGA.

Somewhere in the chain of command there is a broken link, or maybe I should say broken link(s). Again it points to a lack of leadership, not sure that it will be corrected any time soon. It is probably going to take a major crash in the football program, yes football program, the other sports combined do not get the coverage from the beat writers that most of the SEC fans are interested in.

Do not be fooled. When Disney “captured” the SEC, everything else pertaining to college sports in the SEC falls under their rules. What sport in particular was a “must get” for Disney, FOOTBALL. Fact.

www.ledger-enquirer.com/2014/12/18/34744...-richt-and.html?rh=1
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #65573 by stevedawg
Replied by stevedawg on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
IMO our program has enough cash flow to do big things. Me thinks they are giving too much away.
YD1 said:
"However that’s the new world norm in 2014 going forward. That is the business model that produces the most money for all parties.I can’t help but think that a trophy for everyone who plays doesn’t figure into this thought process.That and ING,ESPN and all the equipment and uniform suppliers that pour huge amount of cash into the entertainment package we know as college football."

One thing missing on the Row is a tough media negotiator. Heck, UGA does not even own the web site or NAME "GeorgiaDogs.com"; ING owns it. Yes you heard it here. ING owns GeorgiaDogs.com. They sell the exact same merchandise sold here from the same source. The difference is they say "georgiadogs.com" about a million times during a Dawg game. It is hard to listen to a game on the radio with all the "brought to you by ING and go to georgiadogs.com to buy blah blah blah".

So, yes, that will be the 2015 story if things proceed as usual.

Go Dawgs and Merry Christmas everybody!

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

9 years 4 months ago #65574 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
Buc. Your post fits....said many times... you can add whats on your mind. All the same bucket

I agree that for any forced change there will have to be a complete crash of our football program

Back to back seasons of less than 6 wins will dry up recruiting and large branches of the money tree will drop off

IMO. I see retirement before this will happen.... Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #65575 by Buc
Spot on stevedawg.

With the influx of capital from Disney and others, truthfully butts in the seats are more for decorative purposes than otherwise. Butts in the seats are not necessary to ESPN, they know that their portion of the television rights will make "cash flow" . . . . flow even deeper and larger in their vaults.

Belk Bowl . . . . what is really going on with Belk? It is the advertising aspect that lures Belk in, not Georgia/Louisville. Check the number of spots that Belk hits during the football game. Smart advertising, money well spent by the lesser bowls. Name recognition.

Has been said often, we have loved SEC football for many years, lots of tears and cheers from most of us. We now bow down to M&M, and there is still more to come.

Edit . . . . To the above I add this . . . . Anyone think for a minute that the Georgia/Louisville game just happened to come about? If so, you know that old saying about land for sale . . . . cheap. That was manipulated by . . . . guess who? Surely not the "meece".
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, ogredawg, yankeedawg1, Dawg With Style

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #65576 by Buc
Do I sound sour? If not, I am not doing my job properly. Until UGA gets the needed leadership in place, it is as many of us have said . . . . stuck in the mud, no 4-wheel drive or pulley to move forward.

We continue to get the same speil . . . . a long or fast speech or story, typically one intended as a means of persuasion or as an excuse but regarded with skepticism or contempt by those who hear it.

To the players I say thank you. It is understood by those of us that have been in the "arena" the amount of hard work you put in. This is not football as it was in earlier years, you guys are busting your tails basically year round.

It is being mentioned that Jeremy Pruitt and Greg McGarity are not on the same page. I say to that, have said it before . . . . If I am in a position to choose between the two . . . . don't let the door hit you in the butt McGarity.

I am reminded of our head coach not being happy with some of Ramik Wilson's statements in the 2014 Season, I am also aware that he was not available after that with the media. Whether by his or the coaches choice, he disappeared.

It is also understood that you (the players) are the heart and soul of most of the joy that comes from Athens. Then I look at the players body of work, not just 2014, look back over the years . . . .

To me this is not about Mike Bobo. It did however take Mike Bobo interviewing elsewhere to get the attention of those that appreciate Mike (too much). That would be those above Mike Bobo and other coaches that are taken for granted. Anyone believe that Kirby Smart regrets listening to Nick Saban?

More
Time to create page: 0.033 seconds