Forum

Need For More Player Talent or Coaching Talent

9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #64885 by Buc
After some thought, going to copy and paste the post I posted in another thread here. Have a little more to say.

wlayton my problem with the way things are being handled in Athens goes back to coach after coach. They have this thing about getting all or most of the attention because they are the head coach.

VD was a prime example of stepping on coaches, keeping them in the shadows. He had one problem that still many of us older folks refuse to accept. That of course was preventing Erk from becoming the head coach a Georgia. All we have to do is look at those that followed after VD left. Not impressive at all.

What I am seeing a lot of now through reviewing what has happened in the past is . . . . For some reason Mark Richt cannot have anyone on the defensive side of the ball get "too much" praise. Happened with BVG, what happened, BVG gone. Whether I care for grantham does not make or break this football team that we all share. Again, unable to get along with the defensive coach.

If we look closer, Mark Richt appointed his college buddy to the position of defensive coordinator. What do I think the reason for that was, past friendship, he could control Willie Martinez. Willie remained on the job until the fan base crawled all over Mark Red, thus the "hot seat" talk that became serious.

Now we have another group of strong headed defensive coaches, and already I can see some of the same "Richtisms" popping their ugly head up. At some point, which will not be too far down the line, I will point some "Richtisms" out to the board, probably a few already know some of what I am referring to.

OK, back to Tech. Falls in line with what is being said in some places. grantham took Tech's highly touted offense and gave them a spanking. Pruitt has shown through half time leadership that he can get his side of the ball in the right position to play the second half. Check the Auburn game if there is doubt. Tech is doing basically the same thing that Auburn is doing, actually Tech has been running the same type offense longer than Gus Malzahn at Auburn.

Some coach primarily for money and fame, others love the game and address it that way.

Edit . . . .
I get a chuckle out of some sites that talk about this "preparing for Georgia Tech stuff". Two games back Pruitt/Rocker and Company had a "live game" contest against Auburn that runs virtually the same plays. Nothing fancy coming from Tech, they line up, cut block and move on to the next play. Pruitt loves that. Keep Tech offense away from the "edges" and they are in serious trouble from the git-go. #84 needs to read this. #7 same thing. Herrera and Wilson love to hit in the middle.

Edit #2 . . . .

Question and statement for those that post here. Don't be bashful.

When grantham rode up, first thing out of his mouth was . . . . surround the State of Georgia, also we have all the talent needed within a very short range from Athens to be a National Champion. Right?

What was it that grantham saw on arrival and spoke to? He saw that defensive talent was crossing state lines. Richt did not see that? Martinez did not see that?

We were scoring points most games, no problem with our offensive coaching staff getting the "prized running backs and quarterbacks." What about the defense? What about the offensive line? No offensive line, restricts the plays that can be called "successfully".

My guess at this point is that grantham quit. He first off lost interest after being called on the carpet by McGarity. Got his feelings hurt. From that point on grantham did not actively recruit for any length of time.

What happened to Garner? Same thing that happened to grantham. They were controlled by a coach and athletic director that care more about "image". Nothing wrong with "image" many universities that play D1 football have a good "image". That in my opinion is another "crutch" that the "Group" uses to silence those that would ask . . . . why?

Back to recruiting. Anyone notice that Georgia is at the present time ranked #2, just behind Alabama? What happened? Another fiery defensive coordinator moved to Athens and is making a huge difference. Not only on the defensive side, he is making a difference in the way "the entire team" approaches football. FACT.

Mark Richt has not proven himself capable of reaching the heights needed to make folks like me "shut the heck up". I say simply, check his record. The serious downfall actually started when Martinez was given the defensive coordinators job. Richt was being screamed at for his stubbornness to release Willie. In the end, Richt released Martinez and Willie left in a "huff". After being "released" (Richt's word) Willie has worked at three D1 universities. What does that say for being promoted to defensive coordinator by our head coach?

Have said several times on this board since Pruitt arrived, have this deep feeling that our head coach will find a way to screw this one up. Only bringing up "history" folks, and there is a lot more.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #64886 by stevedawg
Replied by stevedawg on topic Need For More Player Talent or Coaching Talent
KD is possibily right. I nominate him for coach. :)

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.

9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #64887 by Buc

stevedawg wrote: I nominate Kentdaddy for coach. :)

Second the motion . . . . :laugh:

One thing for sure with one of the old timers on this board, kentdaddy is true to his word. Not the kind of man you would "push".
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.035 seconds