Forum

Arkansas Game Day Thread

9 years 5 months ago #63749 by AllDawgs5
Replied by AllDawgs5 on topic Arkansas Game Day Thread
Been reading a lot. Trying to figure out how we were playing not to lose. Watched the 2nd half compared to the first half, playing calling wasn't all that different. Execution was. Playing not to lose would have been taking a delay of game and punting on the first possession of the 2nd half. not going for it on 4th down. I liked the call as well. Ark was in a dime, brought the backers of the edge, vacated the middle of the field, and Chubb was one block away from hitting it right up the gut. Again, looked to me we just didn't execute in the 2nd half on either side. Ball hit Bennett right between the numbers, had Davis for a TD and floated it out a little to far. We are a running team. Don't know that handing it off is playing not to lose. That is what we do. Execution was poor, but this Ark team held Bama to 14pts, so they are good enough to make plays, and they did in the 2nd half.

Defense, played unbelievable in the first half. 2nd half, brought less pressure, and got exposed again. We are not a read and react defense. We have to count on pressure.

As far as eye test, we could have beat Ark 70-6, but if we lose another game it isn't going to matter. We win every game the rest of the year by 1 including the SEC-CG, we are in the playoffs. Eye test can be important, but for us at this point, it is all about winning. Eye test is more important for the teams like ND and Oregon at this point due to their weaker SOS.

We are a pretty good team, but don't see a NC this year. Defense has played well, but still to inconsistent. Offense is pretty comparable to those at the top, but our defense still has a ways to go. They are improving though, and it is clear a lot of progress has been made. Unfortunately, we were just so far behind on that side of the ball, we still have a lot of ground to make up.

GO DAWGS - very happy Dawg Saturday.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DawgDoc, wlayton, Buc, ogredawg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #63750 by GooseDawg78
Replied by GooseDawg78 on topic Missed the game,....
So proud of our TEAM...great effort all around. Lots of pundits picked Arky folks & UGA just made em' look foolish. Personally, I'm not too upset about the lackluster 2nd half; lots of good teams get complacent at halftime when leading 38-6 on the road & as mentioned before, certainly a CMR led group. 2nd half aside, I give our team & coaches a solid A for this past Saturday. I'd have taken a 45-32 final score all day long if offered.

Our O-line is mashing people in the running game, a thing of beauty. Pass blocking still needs improvement though, saw our LT get blown by at least once. D is getting noticeably better; that is called coaching my friends. Mason played his best game of the season IMO & what about Conley's day, DGD that #31.

Folks, these Dawgs seem to be getting better every week & we have even more help on the way for the #1 scoring offense in the SEC! HM is proving he has at least some ability to stretch the field with MM back & hopefully we see JSW soon running free. Plus, the best stable of Running Backs in the country is getting KM back in 2 weeks & SM back in 2 - 4 week & just think, we MIGHT get the best player in the entire country back sooner rather than later (come on NCAA).

Time to rest up, heal up, & get fired up again because these 2014 Georgia Bulldogs are getting ready to win 4 straight over the hated Gators. They simply need to bring a big ol' sledge hammer down to Jacksonville to drive a 10 foot nail through Muschamp's slimy coffin!

GO DAWGS!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton, Buc

More
9 years 5 months ago #63751 by AllDawgs5
Replied by AllDawgs5 on topic Arkansas Game Day Thread
I apologize but I was incorrect about the Bennett drop, that was earlier. The possession I was thinking of was, when we had Hicks open in the flat, but didn't seal the back side and Mason got hit as he was making the throw. It was there, just had a let down. Again, not pointing anyone out, you are going to have missed assignments, but I didn't feel we were playing not to lose in this one. I have felt that in the past, but I thought we were doing what we do. Just weren't doing it well.

I personally hope we stay under the radar. Seem to play better when we are not getting praise from the talking heads. uf's defense is extremely good. We overlook them for a minute, we might end up on the wrong side. They have nothing to lose at this point. Better stay humble and focused.

GO DAWGS
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton

More
9 years 5 months ago #63753 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Arkansas Game Day Thread

AllDawgs5 wrote: Been reading a lot. Trying to figure out how we were playing not to lose. Watched the 2nd half compared to the first half, playing calling wasn't all that different. Execution was. Playing not to lose would have been taking a delay of game and punting on the first possession of the 2nd half. not going for it on 4th down. I liked the call as well. Ark was in a dime, brought the backers of the edge, vacated the middle of the field, and Chubb was one block away from hitting it right up the gut. Again, looked to me we just didn't execute in the 2nd half on either side. Ball hit Bennett right between the numbers, had Davis for a TD and floated it out a little to far. We are a running team. Don't know that handing it off is playing not to lose. That is what we do. Execution was poor, but this Ark team held Bama to 14pts, so they are good enough to make plays, and they did in the 2nd half.

Defense, played unbelievable in the first half. 2nd half, brought less pressure, and got exposed again. We are not a read and react defense. We have to count on pressure.

As far as eye test, we could have beat Ark 70-6, but if we lose another game it isn't going to matter. We win every game the rest of the year by 1 including the SEC-CG, we are in the playoffs. Eye test can be important, but for us at this point, it is all about winning. Eye test is more important for the teams like ND and Oregon at this point due to their weaker SOS.

We are a pretty good team, but don't see a NC this year. Defense has played well, but still to inconsistent. Offense is pretty comparable to those at the top, but our defense still has a ways to go. They are improving though, and it is clear a lot of progress has been made. Unfortunately, we were just so far behind on that side of the ball, we still have a lot of ground to make up.

GO DAWGS - very happy Dawg Saturday.

THANK YOU.

PVBDAWG
The following user(s) said Thank You: AllDawgs5

More
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds