Forum

Todd Gurley Suspended

9 years 5 months ago #64037 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Todd Gurley Suspended

dawgs_fans_dad wrote:

wlayton wrote: Don't believe a kid is physically ready out of HS for pro football. Body hasn't completely matured. You can get by with it in the NBA.

Agree for the most part, but that should be the player's decision, not the NFL in cahoots with the NCAA. Not every player is the same. Gurley certainly was ready after two years.

True but TG not right out of HS. Imo, the NFL also knows that kids aren't physically OR mentally ready for the NFL. Look how long it takes most college players to adjust to the NFL much less a kid right out of HS. The mental jump alone would be impossible.

Imo, the NFL doesn't want them knowing they AREN'T ready.

PVBDAWG

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #64038 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic Todd Gurley Suspended

wlayton wrote:

dawgs_fans_dad wrote:

wlayton wrote: Don't believe a kid is physically ready out of HS for pro football. Body hasn't completely matured. You can get by with it in the NBA.

Agree for the most part, but that should be the player's decision, not the NFL in cahoots with the NCAA. Not every player is the same. Gurley certainly was ready after two years.

True but TG not right out of HS. Imo, the NFL also knows that kids aren't physically OR mentally ready for the NFL. Look how long it takes most college players to adjust to the NFL much less a kid right out of HS. The mental jump alone would be impossible.

Imo, the NFL doesn't want them knowing they AREN'T ready.

I think wlayton is correct, but there is another solution for this problem as well - create a developmental league for those deemed, by the NFL, not to be ready. They can work on learning the ACTUAL playbook, while also building their bodies and "minds" (I have to kind of chuckle at that one, but I get your point). At least then, the NFL could fund them (they certainly have the money for it), and maybe even organize a minor league that (for some bizarre reason or another) might prove popular with certain types of pro football fans. Then, give us back our college football - you know, the one where the idea of "student-athlete" is not a joke.

I really miss the days when college football was truly amateur, and I stupidly believe it could be that way again. Instead, we are about to have nothing but a bunch of pro football teams in the NFL, with a bunch of "minor league" teams (like UGA) that the NFL doesn't support with even one penny.

One of the biggest attractions for me to college football was the regional nature of it - "my region produces better football than your region", where players only occasionally crossed those regional boundaries (I mean at least MOST players grew up in the general vicinity of their schools). And that's the same reason I quit following pro football when I was a kid . . . I found out the Falcons are really just a bunch of guys from all over the place, who seem to lose their ability to play football when their plane lands at Hartsfield. When I figured that out, I quit caring even a little about "pro" football. And they don't have marching bands and the cheerleaders look like prostitutes. There just isn't anything interesting for me in the league.

So I wish the NFL would create that developmental league, take in all the "studs" or "stud-wannabes" and give me back my sport. I also wish I had wings and could fly, and that I will win the lottery this weekend. :laugh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: DawgDoc, wlayton, scooby

More
9 years 5 months ago #64040 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic Todd Gurley Suspended
That was talked about at one time, but the NCAA and the universities don't want to risk missing out
on all of that talent that would opt to go play minor league football instead of dealing with the headaches
of NCAA/school and all that. Nor does the NCAA want a rival product out there, and that's exactly what
it would be.

I agree with you though, but I just don't see it ever happening as long as the NCAA has breath still left
in it.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller

More
9 years 5 months ago #64041 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Todd Gurley Suspended
Thinking a bit further about Todd Gurley and the NCAA.

Makes me wonder when I look at the number of D1 universities engaged in football and don't hear a lot from the NCAA about violations elsewhere. Amazes the hell out of me, lots of clean programs outside the city limits of Athens, Georgia.

One would think that the all powerful Emmert lead NCAA Committee is doing a great job . . . . right? Keeping all of the numerous programs in D1 football operating room clean. Mark Emmert the "surgeon".

Let's get "media real". There has to be an athlete of Gurley's stature that always seem to find the focus of one Mark Emmert. Correct me if I am wrong.

Don't, if ever do this but . . . . Mark Emmert is a "pip squeak". All this POS is doing is selecting a high profile athlete (Todd Gurley) and producing headlines. Folks, listen. Not talking about Todd Gurley being squeaky clean, looking at the "overall". I am missing the "focus" on some posts.

Coming to a simple conclusion . . . . The University of Georgia is without a doubt the single largest violator of NCAA rules . . . . right? If not, point me in the direction of what the NCAA has going on right now, high profile athlete. Any thoughts on Jameis Winston? FSU is standing and fighting, doing the same thing(s) that Miami did. Right or wrong, that is not for me to decide, or you. That falls in Mark Emmert's basket.

We can play around the "edges" all we choose, but what is going on now is Mark Emmert "again" bringing focus to himself and the NCAA as being a neutral judge(s) of college athletes.

I read all of the posts here and many elsewhere, some of them have me scratching my head. Mark Emmert is in the process of trying to "protect" his 1.7 million dollar contract. Amazes me that there are not more posts "directly" at Mark Emmert.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 5 months ago #64045 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic Todd Gurley Suspended
Appeal DENIED sits 2 more games...what a waste of talent

thecountrynation.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller, wlayton

More
9 years 5 months ago #64058 by NC_Dawg
Replied by NC_Dawg on topic Todd Gurley Suspended
Sad day indeed!...I truly hope we get the opportunity to see #3 running wild in "Red & Black" once again! But I'm not absolutely certain it will occur. TG has ZERO to prove to me about integrity and commitment that he hasn't already demonstrated! Should he choose to opt out for the NFL, he'll remain a DGD in my book!

As far as the free education argument goes,....I see the validity EXCEPT for the "star athlete"! The unnamed hero's who wear our colors but will likely never be known,...that free education is their reward. However, the "Star" is subject to numerous entities from within and outside the "arena" ALL profiting from his/her talent. That goes above and beyond the free education argument, IMVHO, and smacks of absolute, unmitigated hypocrisy!...If TG was a scout team member, that #3 jersey and his signature wouldn't be worth a plugged nickle!...

Nonetheless, the corporately corrupt has spoken,....only time will tell....

GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily." - Bluto
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, ogredawg, Dawg With Style

More
Time to create page: 0.059 seconds