Forum

Troy coming to Athens

9 years 7 months ago #62697 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic Troy coming to Athens
Not saying any loss is a good thing far from it. However,I think our coaches will have

The teams attention this week in practice. We have 3 games at home in a row to make

Progress and improve. 2 teams from Tenn. We need to be ready to take care of business

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #62703 by sflanagan21
Replied by sflanagan21 on topic Troy coming to Athens
This game has to be a statement game from our D to our O! If we don't put up 56 and hold them to nil then we didn't make a statement.

More
9 years 7 months ago #62708 by sflanagan21
Shattle Fenteng will be out for at least two more weeks but JJ Green will see some playing time, per CJP

More
9 years 7 months ago #62720 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Troy coming to Athens

sflanagan21 wrote: Shattle Fenteng will be out for at least two more weeks but JJ Green will see some playing time, per CJP

Geez, ask some intramurial football players if they played DB in HS and give them a look-see

PVBDAWG

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #62727 by Dawg With Style
Replied by Dawg With Style on topic Troy coming to Athens
got it from bleacer report:

Say what you want about offensive play-calling or missed field goals, but the Georgia Bulldogs lost their conference opener to South Carolina because of obvious defensive struggles. And though less apparent, Georgia's defensive shortcomings go well beyond poor play in the secondary.

In the tease that was the second-half effort against the Clemson Tigers in Week 1, Jeremy Pruitt coordinated a valiantly dominant game plan. Persistent pressure on the quarterback disrupted timing and allowed defensive backs to play aggressively in coverage without getting beaten deep. Against the run, the Dawgs were content to bend without breaking as Georgia's lead widened.

The results—from both a visual and statistical standpoint—were staggering.

But as the team (and fans) learned against South Carolina, some of that success was fool's gold. That formula was far less formidable against the Gamecocks.

Georgia Defensive Stats
Opponent Passing Yards Rushing Yards Total Yards First Downs Points
Clemson 203 88 291 15 21
South Carolina 271 176 447 27 38
GeorgiaDogs.com

The most glaring deficiencies were in the secondary. Time and time again—particularly in the first half—South Carolina receivers ran free, surrounded only by open field. As a result, quarterback Dylan Thompson torched the Bulldogs by completing 19 of 25 passes for 240 yards and three touchdown passes over the course of the game's first two quarters.

But those ugly and repeated lapses in coverage were not the isolated result of missed assignments by cornerbacks and safeties. To the contrary, those miscues were aided and abetted by a lack of defensive pressure.

The well-timed and oft-disguised blitzes that sent Clemson into a downward spiral were nonexistent against South Carolina. Rushing linebackers (from either the outside or inside) crept to the line too early and exposed intent far too often before the ball was snapped.

On several occasions, freshman defensive back Dominick Sanders arrived at the line of scrimmage so early (only to have to pause for the snap) that he looked like an undersized defensive end. Repeated premature aggression on blitzes allowed Thompson, a fifth-year senior, to know exactly where to go before the ball was even snapped.

Scott Cunningham/Getty Images
To the Gamecocks' credit, they boast one of the better offensive lines in the SEC, and that unit proved its worth against Georgia's front seven. After registering nine tackles behind the line of scrimmage and five sacks against Clemson, Georgia managed just five tackles for a loss against South Carolina. Amarlo Herrera had the Bulldogs' only sack.

But a lack of defensive pressure wasn't the only shortcoming of Georgia's defensive front. Perhaps the most frustrating facet of the entire evening—and something very few fans are bemoaning this week—was Georgia's inability to stop the run in crucial situations.

While Georgia (and a minor ankle injury) mostly limited star running back Mike Davis, backup Brandon Wilds burned Georgia's defense repeatedly—most often in obvious running situations. While Wilds wasn't statistically dominant by any means, the consistency with which he picked up yardage, extended drives and helped South Carolina eat the clock or score second-half points was staggering.

bleacherreport.com/articles/2201709-geor...secondarys-struggles

How Bout them Dawgs!!!!!!!

Ride it like you stole it

• Dawg With Style
  • Dawg With Style's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 7 months ago #62759 by sflanagan21
georgia.247sports.com/Article/Georgia-Bu...n-Troy-week-31258941

A lot of what is said above has been talked about here on this site. What I really like is what Bobo said about needing to move forward in the tempo of the offense and that he feels like HM plays better in an quick offense. Bobo would know better than anyone om what will work best for HM and as an outsider looking in I fully agree with him! This is my opinion and my opinion only about HM, I think he plays better when he is thinking less. Put him in an up tempo offense and let him find his rhythm and I believe we will be pleased. The red zone is where we have been struggling, we all know its easier to drive the ball the first 80 than it is the last 20. I can say first hand that I struggled over thinking in the red zone. Speed up the tempo and let his athletic ability take over, he can spin the ball and he is very accurate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
Time to create page: 0.037 seconds