Forum

Front Page Talk -- Don't Be Shy

9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #62375 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Front Page Talk -- Don't Be Shy
DAWGtm, notice that Mike Bobo refers to Bryan McClendon as young man, as if Mike Bobo is an old man. Makes me chuckle. Also noticed that AM referred to others on the team as young kids. Made me chuckle. Offensive center using the same language this year. Yes, I chuckle.

Don't think that Bryan is "yet" considering leaving Georgia, but . . . . when a reputable university comes calling, and they will, there is a lot of difference in what he is being paid and what the outside offer will be.

Most of the coaches, or many of the D1 coaches understand football. Many of the same coaches do not understand how to teach the course. grantham? Martinez?

Like Lilly said when referring to McClendon, he has that "thing" that everyone out there recruiting does not have. Ten percent of the peddlers make 90% of the sales. FACT.

At some point rather than "fixing" the coaching staff as a "whole" Georgia will find itself making one or two changes that correct past mistakes.

To answer your statement directly. If McClendon is making 350,000 dollars a year in Athens, another SEC contending football school comes in and offers 850,000 a year . . . . As much as we hate to say it, College Football is a business. Look what the Northwestern players suggested. Another thought, loyalty. Pruitt left FSU and a very strong program to come to Georgia as an assistant, same title he had in Tallahassee. Just a thought. :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 7 months ago #62376 by DAWGtm
Replied by DAWGtm on topic Front Page Talk -- Don't Be Shy
UGA should be able to beat whatever is offered to keep him as a assistant. My take on the JP lateral move is to be able to showcase his talent. Last year at FSU he had established talent that has been pointed out more than once. Now us on the other hand was about as low as you could be. So he was offered a place were there was raw talent with no where to go but up. If he brings the D from where we have been to just a top 30 D this year people will talk about what a great job he did. Now if we become a top 15 D his stock is off the chart. I do like the coaches he has assembled and for the first time in a long time UGA is playing like a team in all aspects. Just goes to so you attitudes are contagious ether good or bad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
9 years 7 months ago #62377 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Front Page Talk -- Don't Be Shy

DAWGtm wrote: Agree that BM is underpaid for the value that he brings. But my question is What does he desire is it just more money or does he want to move up to be a OC or HC? I just don't see him leaving UGA to be a assistant elsewhere.

I, too believe BM is grossly underpaid but believe in is way premature thinking of him in a HCing capacity for years to come.

BM loves UGA and think he would like to stay and move up the ladder. He does have SO much potential and I think he knows that if he stays patient and on the path he is on, he'll be a prospect for the OC position if Bobo leaves for a HC gig somewhere, at some point in time.

Btw, do ya'll feel CMR is supplementing BM's salary? He's been known to do that in the past. Now, if that's true, what's the incentive for the AD to give him a substantial raise???

PVBDAWG
The following user(s) said Thank You: DawgDoc, Dawg With Style

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #62379 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Front Page Talk -- Don't Be Shy
Here is hoping that the "point" that I am trying to make is not off course.

When I speak of Bryan McClendon's talent, not trying to make it sound like he will be offered a head coaching job in the next week, next month or next year. Simply pointing out that as was said above, McClendon has an enormous amount of "understanding and talent". Do not think that he will be a head coach tomorrow. Why else was he offered a "business card"?

Trying to point out that "others" have their eyes on this very talented individual. At the present time Bryan McClendon is Georgia's Recruiting Director. Was hoping that this thread would not get too far off course.

So, to try and bring this back to a point of focus. Anyone that supports Georgia Football believe that Bryan McClendon is being paid according to "his value to Georgia Football". Understand that some will come back and say no, some have already.

Another question. Where and what time is it that we put "value" on a coach or player". Allow me this. When we went after Marshall, anyone remember what was said on this board? When we signed Gurley anyone remember what was said on this board? Coaching is no different. If coaching is different what is the reasoning for our "best recruiter" being underpaid?

Question . . . . Would anyone that posts "regularly" on this board exchange McClendon for Garner, or any Recruiting Director at any SEC University. Thread now is asking for "names of individuals". Cuts short the small talk.

Trying to keep this in focus . . . . we have a very talented coach that seems to be doing more than coaching from the sidelines or the booth. Traveling into Florida and other football hot beds requires more than I have seen from our recruiters in a long time. Brian McClendon does that, and I might add, with results.

If you have a champion that is 35 years young and his or her salary is based on age, rather than production, that has been the problem that I have witnessed for many years. That is the point that I "tried" to make earlier about Charlie Strong. Mentioned that he had been around Florida football for many years, his talent was not recognized, it was simply shoved aside.

Say this to those that read and post on this board. Let's take our time, no way that Brian McClendon will leave Athens, right?. I said that and anyone that believes that Brian McClendon is not a "hot commodity" . . . . my bet is that "you and I" will have a chance in the very near future to "discuss that". Has nothing to do with being a head coach, has everything to do with talent. :)

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds