Forum

Comparing Coaches and Players -- 1980's - 2000's

9 years 7 months ago #62294 by Buc
Trying to get a grip on what I saw in the first game in 2014 compared to what I have seen over many years.

When I take a close look at this Georgia football team, think that I see something close to a team in the 1980's.

See an offensive line that is not highly rated, when being compared with other offensive lines in the SEC. Can't speak to offensive lines outside the SEC.

Quarterback level, I will take Hutson Mason over one that got a championship ring back in the day. Hutson also has a running back that carried much of the team in our first game, think back to Walker. Same kind of play. Walker and Gurley have big shoulders. Required in SEC play.

Running back(s), herein lies a group that is much better than the group in the 1980's. Speaking to "depth" here for those that get their "panties in a twist" when playing with words in the running back area. When looking at the depth from the last National Championship and then looking at 2014, no comparison. Not from where I sit.

Defensively, hard to say much more than this is the 2000's versus the 1980's. As far as the coaching aspect, it is a very "touchy area" for me. Never has a college football team had a coach that was not the head man make so much difference for a SEC school. Yep, Erk.

Sticking around for another comment or two about our defensive coaches. Jeremy Pruitt has "fire", anyone watch him on the sidelines against Clemson, almost in a "tissy fit" waving his players off of the field after making a very good stop. Pruitt, not unlike Erk believes in getting the job done. Anyone that does not take notice of that, won't say too much, but what Pruitt did was very Erk like. At this point, he has my stamp of approval. We are all in the same bucket, we need something to believe in.

Kicking game, not sure we have ever been more "all around" than we are now. We have a needed part that plays to our strength and if there are those that read this "stuff" do not believe kicking/punting is important, you should stop reading now, you don't understand SEC football. Think about what came out of Dabo's mouth after the game. They lost because Georgia had field position. True Dat.

A little bit about Special Teams. One coach that came to Athens and camped out literally before settling in, Mike Ekeler - Inside Linebackers Coach. Mike Ekeler is an absolute fire breathing coach. He will do so much for those that want to see Georgia Football rise, players and fans. Mike Ekeler is the real deal, don't let him get away. He is another Jeremy Pruitt that spells his name differently than the Defensive Coordinator.

I could go on for days, but think it is time for those that think they understand what is going on in the Classic City (Athens) to add something to this thread that has yet to be said. If you have nothing, that is ok, just don't come here and jump on what others have to say. Big damn game in Columbia, South Carolina, got nothing to say . . . . Has to be something that you either think needs to be done or whatever . . . . I have some things that I want to add, just going to watch this thread from now until time to face off with Steve Spurrier and those that don't like us in Columbia, South Carolina.

Remember this, it was said on this board, win, lose or whatever, want to see the young men and coaches rise above what "I" have seen in too many games in the 2000's.

Has been said that Spurrier is preparing for us . . . . here is hoping that we (UGA) are preparing for Spurrier and the one game that he must win. This is where coaches step up and answer the call. Was truly glad to hear that Monday was spent by the players and coaches watching film. That supposedly has been the practiced effort for sometime . . . . have to say this . . . . not under this group of coaches. They breath "fire". Sometimes fire and brimstone comes from the pulpit, the pulpit Monday I hope was in Butts-Mehre.

Stop Buc, give others a chance. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, wlayton, yankeedawg1, DAWGtm, Dawg With Style, dawgs_fans_dad

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 7 months ago #62295 by Dawg With Style
Replied by Dawg With Style on topic Comparing Coaches and Players -- 1980's - 2000's
Dabo lost cuzz Gurley run right the hell over them.

Couldn't resist BUC.

How Bout them Dawgs!!!!!!!

Ride it like you stole it
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton

• Dawg With Style
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 7 months ago #62296 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic Comparing Coaches and Players -- 1980's - 2000's
Once again Buc your thoughts are spot on. Read were CJP said what's the big deal we won

One game that's what we are suppose to do....sounds like something CNS might say

Really a tough call comparing players and coaches over a span of 20 years

What is not so difficult is the common denominators of success

Passion for what you do

Demand nothing less than a total effort. And.......a commitment to putting the teams best

Interests above any personal ones. Big Team......little me

Right and wrong stay the same no matter what year it is

We will see improvement game to game this season....... Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton, Buc, DAWGtm

More
9 years 7 months ago #62297 by Buc
Interesting reading what others have to say outside of this and other blogs.

If anyone thinks that everyone is on the same page, been around football too long to even think in that direction. Posts are for the most part personal feelings, whether from watching repeat performances from a coach or player.

I remember many of the things that were said prior to us winning our last National Championship, promise UGA was not expected to win the NC game. Varying views there also. Went into the National
Championship game the following year, most thought we had it wrapped up. Just a little history.

One thing that I do know, we have a group in 2014 that believe they can "repeat history". Why would this group think any differently after the opening game against Clemson. Remember this, I will, we played many young men that would not have played had we not had a coaching change.

DWS, nothing wrong with your post, maybe this could be inserted . . . . If you have not watched the link that thriller asked for in another thread, might want to see just how effective that entire offensive "group" was in preparing hole for Gurley to run. Taking nothing away from Gurley, how could I, he at this point has a group that "want" to see him have success. Anyone remember the lack of effort in JAX, I sure as heck do. Will not happen this season.

Gurley's kickoff return, look at the "wedge" that was set up for him. Reminds me of the "old days" when "wedges" were automatic on kickoff returns. That was a time when many players were knocked out, totally out. It was close to what many termed "suicide" then. Smelling salts and the next kickoff, back on the field and did not now where they were. More history.

Bet this, we won't get anything out of Athens that can be talked about. Pouty will continue to be lost, things have changed in Athens, AJC is just another outlet. Soon M&M/Disney/ESPN will totally replace those that thought they were all that in the journalism business. I said that.

See where folks are reading, not posting. Is what it is.

blutarsky.wordpress.com/2014/09/02/mike-...s-many-colors-in-it/

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #62298 by Dawg With Style
Replied by Dawg With Style on topic Comparing Coaches and Players -- 1980's - 2000's
BUC IMO the OL know they have RB to block for just like the down field block for Chubb.

I agree this OL is nasty and hungry for it.

• Dawg With Style
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #62299 by Dawg With Style
Buc here is a question Best RB Georgia or Alabama.

It's Georgia no doubt I think Sony and Chubb will really show how good they are in SC.

WHEN Marshall gets everything right will be the best at UGA just my honest opinion.

Georgia number 6 in AP poll.

• Dawg With Style
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds