Forum

Clemson Game Day Thread

9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #62229 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic Clemson Game Day Thread

sadlerdawg wrote:

yankeedawg1 wrote: World new TG was the best back in college ball when healthy

But...how our coaches used him was a game plan well designed and executed

I just don't believe the way Gurley was used was a plan...there were just too many series and plays in the first half when bobo passed instead of ran. We should be a run first team any time, but especially with the backs we have and what is essentially a first year starter at QB. I think it just took a half of football for bobo to realize what everyone else watching knew should happen. RUN,RUN, RUN!!!! If not Gurley, use the others. Even Chubb and Michel were ripping yards at will in the second half. If we ran more in the first half, we would have scored more than 21, and they would have scored less.
That being said, Great win. Loved the 2nd half. Just think there are teams on our schedule that we may not dominate in the 2nd half like we did and taking as much of a lead into halftime that we can will be helpful, IMO.

Exactly right sadler...you step on the gas out of the box and never let up or look back.... I firmly believe something was said in the locker room at halftime not by the coaches but Gurley himself......he knew he could take over the game and said so....lead and the rest will follow...Bobo has to get over the pass first syndrome and use the players that he has available, and that is the BEST running back and the BEST stable of running backs in the country...Bobo tried his best to screw up that game especially in the first half....what a lot of people don't see is if not for Todd Gurley the score at halftime would of been Clemson 21 Dawgs 7...and that is a FACT......

thecountrynation.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, sadlerdawg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ogredawg
  • ogredawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 7 months ago #62231 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic Clemson Game Day Thread
Respectively sadlerdawg and ogredawg

At kickoff the heat index was over 100 plus with high humidity

The temptation is to run TG and build a lead

We needed to find out what our defense was capable of

True without TG score would hsve been 21 - 7. Clemson. We used just enough of him

In the first half

500 mile car race how many are won wire to wire? Not many

Run smart have a strong car for the last 25% of the race

Defense and ST play a very good half. TG and NC get it done

Dawgs win big

Will this be our game plan for every game..... no

Sadlerdawg glad you enjoyed the "W" with guarded optimism. Believe we will still

Have future pleasant surprises

Me having a TG with 15 touches which is the number picked by ogredawg correctly

Going into a bye week before USC is better than a TG who was worked to his limlt

bodes well for the rest of the season

The beautiful thing is regardless of who is right we spanked the kittens

And sour grapes CDS...... love it. Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller, wlayton

More
9 years 7 months ago #62233 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Clemson Game Day Thread

sadlerdawg wrote:

yankeedawg1 wrote: World new TG was the best back in college ball when healthy

But...how our coaches used him was a game plan well designed and executed

I just don't believe the way Gurley was used was a plan...there were just too many series and plays in the first half when bobo passed instead of ran. We should be a run first team any time, but especially with the backs we have and what is essentially a first year starter at QB. I think it just took a half of football for bobo to realize what everyone else watching knew should happen. RUN,RUN, RUN!!!! If not Gurley, use the others. Even Chubb and Michel were ripping yards at will in the second half. If we ran more in the first half, we would have scored more than 21, and they would have scored less.
That being said, Great win. Loved the 2nd half. Just think there are teams on our schedule that we may not dominate in the 2nd half like we did and taking as much of a lead into halftime that we can will be helpful, IMO.

Believe Clemson was also loading the box with 7-8 players to stop the run early on.....1-2 more in numbers than our OL/blockers. Could be Bobo wanted to throw some short passes to take 2 out of the box so we could block them.

Who knows? Gurley had more carries than I thought he would.....

PVBDAWG
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller

More
9 years 7 months ago #62234 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Clemson Game Day Thread
Interesting conversation going on here. Good boards with talented members have a way of expressing thoughts without some of the stuff that is often seen in other places.

Said a little earlier, Spurrier has been backed into a corner by TAM and their creative and motivating head coach. Won't take that comment any further than that . . . . at this point.

I still say that our head coach needs to stay out of the way, let those hired to coach do just that.

Do not believe that South Carolina will roll over for us, not with a packed stadium and a head coach that has a huge dislike for anything Red and Black. Back to back victories over South Carolina will give Spurrier something to think about the rest of the season. Guarantee is that he is "spitting nails" in the practices all the way up to Dawgs/Cocks game.

South Carolina is supposed to have one of the more talented offensive lines in college football, will be interesting to see how we attack them with a new defensive coordinator and staff.

Spurrier loved sticking it to grantham. Remember last years game, grantham went out of his way on the sidelines to hug AM before the game was over. Another case of someone else doing grantham's job for him.

Miami at Louisville tonight on ESPN at 8 p.m. I am with dawgs_fans_dad, hoping to see grantham's defense give up 50. Petrino will score points, like him or not, he understands offense, just needs to learn how to keep from laying the bike down. Petrino always did like "dirt".
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
9 years 7 months ago #62235 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic Clemson Game Day Thread
Spot on Buc. Think it was shortly after CJP arrived in Athens. Keep the godfather out

Of the kitchen. Let The coaches do their thing. I Like as noted by wlayton. CMR

Going over to NC after his TD and had words of praise. We had a bunch of recruits and

Commits in the house. Me thinks. Our program will benefit with our big win

And.......playing 7 freshmen.....who accounted themselves very well including LC even with

His bone head penalty...CTR will make a teachable moment out of it count on it

Dawgs will get a workout over the next 2 weeks guaranteed

Go Dawgs!

More
9 years 7 months ago #62236 by sadlerdawg
Replied by sadlerdawg on topic Clemson Game Day Thread
bobo has a history of nonsensical game calling in the past, and I think that is what was going on Saturday. While yankee and wlayton, you both make convincing arguments, personally I don't think either happened. Just my opinion.

The SMART era CONTINUES!!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ogredawg, yankeedawg1

More
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds