Forum

From Athens- Just 14 days until GDF

9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #61860 by Dawg With Style
Replied by Dawg With Style on topic From Athens- Just 14 days until GDF
It would of been nice if Jarvis Jones would of had a coach I hope he has a break out year in the NFL!

Gurley and Chubb going to get them tired and Sony and Keith are going to bust those 30/40 yards at a time runs.

Check out Sony and Chubb stats!!!!!!

dogbytesonline.com/uga-preseason-scrimmage-no-2-2-85713/

Finally some tackling too.

How Bout them Dawgs!!!!!!!

Ride it like you stole it

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Dawg With Style
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 8 months ago #61861 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Just 14 days until GDF

Dawg With Style wrote: It would of been nice if Jarvis Jones would of had a coach I hope he has a break out year in the NFL!

Gurley and Chubb going to get them tired and Sony and Keith are going to bust those 30/40 yards at a time runs.

DWS, hard not to be excited about two freshmen coming in and proving that they belong.

I keep watching the progress of Jeb Blazevich. Every photo that I see of him, Mark Richt seems to be in the background with his eyes focused on Jeb.

Kudos to Lilly on Jeb choosing UGA. Players like Jeb are going to increase the yardage gained by our running backs. 6'5", great hands, understands running routes, learning several positions is going to require linebackers paying attention to him. Makes the offensive lines job a bit easier also.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dawg With Style

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #61862 by Buc

Buc wrote:

Dawg With Style wrote: It would of been nice if Jarvis Jones would of had a coach I hope he has a break out year in the NFL!

DWS, hard not to be excited about two freshmen coming in and proving that they belong.

I keep watching the progress of Jeb Blazevich. Every photo that I see of him, Mark Richt seems to be in the background with his eyes focused on Jeb.

Kudos to Lilly on Jeb choosing UGA. Players like Jeb are going to increase the yardage gained by our running backs. 6'5", great hands, understands running routes, learning several positions is going to require linebackers paying attention to him. Makes the offensive lines job a bit easier also.

DWS, went back and read the article again, third time I think.

Defense seemed to improve as the scrimmage moved along. Listening to all of the talking heads prior to the season opener, seems that most think UGA is going to put a lot of points on the board. Hope that turns out to be true.

When I think about the link below, knowing that there is a lot of "coach speak" involved, still seems to me that "serious progress" has been made on the defensive side. Not so much the number of tackles or interceptions or passes defended.

What stands out to me is the "long list" of defensive players making plays. Been around football for a while, impresses me when I see that many names listed, maybe names that would not have been mentioned if grantham had remained. Just a simple fact.

Another thing that catches my attention is this . . . . Pruitt/Rocker and Company said that "all positions" are open. Reading the stats, seems to back up "coach speak".

If Mark Richt is upset with the offensive side of the ball (his side) time to get his butt in gear and correct what is wrong. Say again, just stay out of Pruitt/Rocker and Company's way. For sure that group will call "all" of the defensive schemes against Clemson and those that follow.

One more thing . . . . will be intersting to see how our 2 and 3 star players develop under the new group running the defense.

This is for thriller. You are so right about McKenzie. He will do some things that will make folks say . . . . what the heck (or language worse than that) is that player doing. Just run North and South. My Brother, will not happen, not in his DNA. He will put smiles on many faces. Takes me back to Buzzy Rosenberg . . . . :)

Understand that many folks don't like to read, might want to look down into the article and read what Buzzy Rosenberg had to say about Creel. Mentions VD and Erk.

Was there before and after Rosenberg, enjoyed Buzzy. No doubt that McKenzie is "all that" and yes, another player from Florida that plays for Georgia.

Stop.

archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/C...L/2003-11/1070185082

Much of what was referred to above comes from this article.

www.macon.com/2014/08/15/3252305/offense...strating-night.html#

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #61863 by Dawg With Style
Replied by Dawg With Style on topic From Athens- Just 14 days until GDF
Buc think you will like this read I did.

Sophomore J.J. Green, who moved to the secondary after playing tailback last year, pointed to another emphasis.

“Open-field tackling,” he said.

The fan might think that you either know how to tackle or you don’t, but at the college level there’s still plenty of technique that needs to be taught.

For instance, Green said Pruitt taught him that when he’s trying to wrap up he should press into the offensive player’s hip, making it harder for the runner to put a move on the defender.

“You don’t want to get embarrassed on TV,” Green said.

Then there are the less obvious technique improvements that Pruitt is trying to teach. Watching him in secondary drills, it becomes evident: Drills on seemingly mundane things that will only happen once or twice in a game. A sideline tip drill, in which Pruitt tosses passes and defensive backs straddle the sideline and try to tip it away.

It’s reminiscent of the drills that Georgia receivers coach Tony Ball leads -- teaching receivers to catch one-hop passes or to catch a ball in the corner of the end zone with their left hand. Also mundane, also seemingly crazy. But Georgia’s receivers have flourished lately, with three-stars emerging as starters (Conley and Michael Bennett) and walk-ons becoming contributors.

In Pruitt’s case, they are the same drills he used last season at Florida State and the previous three years at Alabama.

“He puts you in every scenario in football, live football,” Moore said. “That’s what we need, and what we didn’t have last year.”

Moore used this word to describe Pruitt: “Perfectionist.”

“He feels like if someone’s not doing their job in the program, you should confront them,” he said. “If he’s not doing his job, he wants you to confront him, and if you’re not doing your job he’s gonna confront you. I feel like that was our biggest thing last year, we didn’t have too many people confronting each other, and just taking accountability when we were wrong.”

Such as that time in practice.

Again, it may prove to be a lot of offseason talk. Four years ago, defensive players were also bullish on the changes brought by Todd Grantham. But Grantham’s changes were more schematic. Pruitt’s have been different and, the Bulldogs fervently believe, stronger.

“You see a lot more team unity, I think you see a lot more discipline, I think you see a lot more guys hustling to the ball,” Mason said. “I think that’s the improvement in the new defense you’re gonna see this year. You’re gonna see a defense with a lot more attitude and a lot more effort.”

Read more here: www.macon.com/2014/08/16/3253150/pruitt-...ebook##storylink=cpy

How Bout them Dawgs!!!!!!!

Ride it like you stole it

• Dawg With Style
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 8 months ago #61864 by Buc
DWS, from the article that you posted. One paragraph means so much.

“Is that what you’re gonna have, what we had last year, making excuses?” Pruitt said, according to Moore.

Pruitt at this point, not taking any prisoners. Secretly hoping since grantham left that Pruitt would make a statement like the one above. In my book he said what was needed to be said.

Pruitt/Rocker and Company are introducing Georgia football to those that understand as you say DSW "basics".

Anyone on this board remember last years defensive coordinator? Cannot believe this board is so silent. Just saying.

DWS, the "two dudes" that coached football in Alabama (Pruitt and Rocker) understand the meaning of SEC FOOTBALL.

Might be, and I hope this to be true, those present in Athens (Classic City) finally understand what National Championship trophies end up on the other side of the Chattahoochee River. Why?

Do not for a minute believe what happened last season in Auburn won't come close or happen again. Folks in Alabama are "focused" on SEC football. Here is hoping that we are closer to the "prize".

Reading all of the BS available from the media and "coach speak" from the "others" in the SEC, does make me scratch my head and ask a simple question . . . . Simply explain to me why we have not won or "participated" in a NC since the 1980's.

Read this board and others, ever wonder WHY? Is it coaching or lack of talent? A question that I ponder a lot. How many years do those of you that are 40/50 or so years have left?

Is it time to "fall in line" . . . . "again"? Just asking . . . . again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, Dawg With Style

More
9 years 8 months ago #61865 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens- Just 14 days until GDF
IMO. It seems that when our coaches do speak out this year it is something worth hearing

Both as a player and a fan. We are getting more babble from the media than from our coaches

Which is a very good thing. Me thinks our coaching staff has made more comments about

Last year that has been kept in house

Maybe the lack of chatter here is they don't want to seem over excited about the season only

to Be disappointed again. , don't want to be Donny Downer forecasting doom and gloom

Go Dawgs!

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.055 seconds