Forum

Outsiders Agree With Georgia Fans

9 years 7 months ago #61795 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic Outsiders Agree With Georgia Fans

thriller wrote: wlayton . . . very concerned early on . . . INDEED, sir!

BTW - I hate to ask this, as this will show how disconnected I became after the Vanderbilt game last year . . . is Pruitt going to run the 3-4, or is he switching us back to the 4-3? Please say 4-3.

Thriller.. those terms 3-4, 4-3 are almost obsolete. The thing now is hybrid defenses. People give you a 3-4 look
but have the players assigned roles be more like a 4-3. We have linebackers lining up as a standup lineman, we have linemen dropping into coverage like a linebacker.

Archaic terms for a lot of teams these days. Only a few of those big slow boys in the midwest are still adhering to
strict definitions of what their D does based on an alignment.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #61820 by GooseDawg78
Replied by GooseDawg78 on topic Outsiders Agree With Georgia Fans
Hello & happy Friday to all my fellow Dawg Fans!

Like most in here stated upon his hiring, it's SHOW ME time, not TELL ME time for CJP & our beleaguered Dawgs Defense.

That said, I am not expecting a top 5 or even a top 25 defense in year 1 (especially w/so much youth in our Secondary) BUT barring a slew of injuries on D, my bare MINIMUM expectation is for UGA to field a top 50 D which would likely mean reducing scoring from almost 29 points per game to around 24 points per game.

Obviously, only 5 less points per game doesn't sound like much this could quite possibly equate to 2 or 3 more wins on days when opposing D's hold our O under 30 points.

Let me throw one last stat out at yall with the caveat of "I get it, we lost Murray, our Offense will likely take a step back"...still, looking at last year's offensive scoring, our lowest 5 outputs of the year were:

19 vs. Nebraska
23 vs. Florida (obviously a WIN)
26 vs. Missouri
27 vs. Vandy
34 vs. Tennessee (a costly WIN)

Our offense put up 35 & 38 points respectively in our other 2 losses vs Clemson & Auburn which SHOULD be more than enough to win a game with the level of athletes we annually field on our D!

I REALLY like our chances of winning the vast majority of games IF our D can keep the opposition in the low 20s vs the low 30s...GO DAWGS!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton

More
9 years 7 months ago #61823 by Wartdawg
5 points per game on average is a big deal.

Total points - 5 may not sound by much but being down late by 6 vs being down by 11 or 3 vs 8 is a huge
change in game dynamics.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton

More
9 years 7 months ago #61824 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic Outsiders Agree With Georgia Fans

Wartdawg wrote:

thriller wrote: wlayton . . . very concerned early on . . . INDEED, sir!

BTW - I hate to ask this, as this will show how disconnected I became after the Vanderbilt game last year . . . is Pruitt going to run the 3-4, or is he switching us back to the 4-3? Please say 4-3.

Thriller.. those terms 3-4, 4-3 are almost obsolete. The thing now is hybrid defenses. People give you a 3-4 look
but have the players assigned roles be more like a 4-3. We have linebackers lining up as a standup lineman, we have linemen dropping into coverage like a linebacker.

Archaic terms for a lot of teams these days. Only a few of those big slow boys in the midwest are still adhering to
strict definitions of what their D does based on an alignment.

Thanks for the info, WD! My reason for asking is that I feel like with so much inexperience in our defense, I'm hoping we go back to a more of a 4-3, just for the sake of simplifying for the young guys. I always felt like Granthams scheme COULD have worked pretty well, if he had a group of veterans at every position (like in the NFL), but with a 4 year maximum and a 3 year reality for most kids, his defenses were too complicated. Heck, we couldn't even get to the line of scrimmage on time.

I think it was Buc who posted the Florida State/Climpsn game from last year. It looked like FSU pretty much stayed in a 4/3 most of the time, which took away the run. Against the 'Cocks, I hope we can shut down Davis.

More
9 years 7 months ago #61826 by Wartdawg
Defenses are complex... Grantham's insanely so. In addition to just an alignment, there are complicated assignments based on the look the offense gives you in return. You can line up in a 4-3 or a 3-4 and still have different DB assignments within one look, and then variations on what you do when you see what the O does.. then you have defensive audibles...

I agree with you about the need to simplify, and I think Pruitt has already addressed his desire to do that so players can play with speed and react without thinking.. (based on our defensive arrest record.. I really don't want them thinking a whole lot anyway, so that's great. They don't seem to make good choices when thought and decision making is involved)

What I did want to point out was just don't confuse complexity with alignment. 4-3, 3-4.. both can be made more
simple than whatever the hell TG was doing.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller

More
9 years 7 months ago #61830 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Outsiders Agree With Georgia Fans
Too funny WD.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :woohoo:

PVBDAWG

More
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds