Forum

Outsiders Agree With Georgia Fans

9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #61709 by Buc
Read in other places where grantham as our defensive coordinator did a good job in Athens.

However when I read what some of the other college coaches have to say, goes along with what many of us felt, the talent was on campus, lacked a defensive coordinator.

As far as being as far along as FSU, go back and check what was said on this board about FSU recruiting for the past five years. Jimbo Fisher, disciple of Nick Saban followed much of what he learned under Saban, results speak for themselves.

Coaching tree under Saban also speaks volumes. We happen to have a defensive coordinator that learned much in Tuscaloosa also. grantham spent a small amount of time under Saban, never got the message. Strong language coming from Haney below.

Today’s question: What kind of impact will new Georgia defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt have on the Bulldogs’ young and depleted defense?

Writes Haney: In time, Pruitt should stabilize and elevate the defense -- which, most coaches agree, ought to have been better the past few years. There’s nearly a consensus that UGA upgraded at DC in the offseason.

Keep this in mind, however: I’ve been told by those close to the UGA program not to expect 2013 Florida State-like magic in Pruitt’s first season in Athens.

Tracy Rocker, stats in the link below spell out what he brings to Athens. Great, great hire.

bleacherreport.com/articles/2154207-tren...-best-fit-for-5-star

A look back to the happenings in January, 2014.

bleacherreport.com/articles/1937832-geor...lam-for-the-bulldogs
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 7 months ago #61711 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic Outsiders Agree With Georgia Fans
Buc. January and Toddy seem like it was years ago maybe because we have been spinning our

wheels on defense for that long. We now have a coaching staff on the defensive side of

The ball, good things this year greater in the near future. Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!

More
9 years 7 months ago #61712 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic Outsiders Agree With Georgia Fans
Buc, great thread . . . I'm starting to get my juices going again . . . your post got me to thinking, as your posts usually do:

Just how bad was our defense last year? How about the year before that?

Buc, it was BAD. Last year we ranked tied for 79th in all of D1 for points given up, at 29.0 points per game. That's how many points Tennessee averaged as well, to give you an idea of how sorry our D was. How important is defense? The top 4 defenses for scoring were 1. Florida State, 2. Louisville, 3. Michigan State, and 4. Alabama.

Year before that?

1. Florida State, 2. Alabama, 3. Louisville, 4. Michigan State. Where were we? 84th, two spots behind Tennessee, giving up 29.4 points per game. That's right, we actually "slightly" IMPROVED last year on the score board. And we moved up from 84th best defense in the nation to tied for 79th.

Pruitt may not get us to the promised land this year. We're young and thin in the secondary. But if he can just teach our guys how to 1. Line up at the line of scrimmage PRIOR to the start of the play, 2. Wrap up and tackle, and 3. Break up the pass or tackle the receiver, (make interceptions when you CAN), then Buc, I believe our defense WILL be better, and probably by a lot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
9 years 7 months ago #61713 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Outsiders Agree With Georgia Fans

thriller wrote: Buc, great thread . . . I'm starting to get my juices going again . . . your post got me to thinking, as your posts usually do:

Just how bad was our defense last year? How about the year before that?

Buc, it was BAD. Last year we ranked tied for 79th in all of D1 for points given up, at 29.0 points per game. That's how many points Tennessee averaged as well, to give you an idea of how sorry our D was. How important is defense? The top 4 defenses for scoring were 1. Florida State, 2. Louisville, 3. Michigan State, and 4. Alabama.

Year before that?

1. Florida State, 2. Alabama, 3. Louisville, 4. Michigan State. Where were we? 84th, two spots behind Tennessee, giving up 29.4 points per game. That's right, we actually "slightly" IMPROVED last year on the score board. And we moved up from 84th best defense in the nation to tied for 79th.

Pruitt may not get us to the promised land this year. We're young and thin in the secondary. But if he can just teach our guys how to 1. Line up at the line of scrimmage PRIOR to the start of the play, 2. Wrap up and tackle, and 3. Break up the pass or tackle the receiver, (make interceptions when you CAN), then Buc, I believe our defense WILL be better, and probably by a lot.

Thanks for the stats thriller.

quote: "slightly" IMPROVED last year......actually it was we weren't quite as HORRIBLE last year.....

Love Pruitt and what is going on in Athens on the D side of the ball. THIS year for me on the D is "very cautious optimism". Feel they will be better in their assignments and the front 7 will be very good, but also feel opposing teams will be able to move the ball on us through the air. Unlike last year, we should improve throughout the season though....very concerned early on. Feel the offense had better put some points on the board against Clemson and USC.

PVBDAWG
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller, Buc

More
9 years 7 months ago #61714 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Outsiders Agree With Georgia Fans
thriller, when we look at the Louisville stats the past few years, makes it very easy to understand why Texas wanted and hired Charlie Strong. Strong is another coach that Florida missed out on, that was proven while Strong was at Louisville. Best thing that ever happened to Georgia football was Charlie Strong leaving the SEC and putting Louisville on the football map. Another gator miscue.

After a short time in Austin, Charlie Strong will put Texas back in the top 5 consistently. Players coach that also demands "acting right". All of us know that Texas is loaded with high school football talent, top that off with a top notch head coach, and barrels of money, program will soon be scary.

Maybe I am wrong, I however believe that we now have the same formula from our "on the field" coaches led by Pruitt/Rocker that will mirror what Charlie Strong is about and will do in Texas.

Don't know when it will happen but Petrino/grantham, a charge that is waiting to be exploded, short time someone will push the plunger. "Fire in the hole". grantham gone. Million dollar coach my butt. Birds of a feather perhaps, at this point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller, wlayton

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 7 months ago #61715 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Outsiders Agree With Georgia Fans
Buc, Petrino is going to get very tired of HAVING to score 50 points a game to win.

PVBDAWG
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds