Forum

Lewis Grizzard & Larry Munson

9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #61548 by NC_Dawg
Replied by NC_Dawg on topic Lewis Grizzard & Larry Munson
My sophomore year at UGA. Aside from a night, nearly two decades later when we finally turned the tide against them Urenge HillBilly's, I've NEVAH heard a more deafening fanbase within Sanford!

Since the first game of the season brings Clumpsen back the God's Country, I thought it appropriate to provide a little Munson trivia!

OH MY GOD,....OH MY GOD!!!

GO DAWGS!!!!!

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily." - Bluto
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #61553 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic Lewis Grizzard & Larry Munson
I haven't posted here in a LONG, LONG time. Let me first say that it had nothing to do with anyone on the board - you guys really are like BROTHERS on this board, and sometimes brothers get a little confrontational.It's all good though - nobody gets hurt. It's just that I get loud when we win, and I get quiet when we don't. I like POSITIVITY, and I HATE NEGATIVITY. So I just decided to "haunt" the board and refrain from posting for a bit. Things got a little boring, as the topics rarely changed. Again, PLEASE believe me, that's not to cast anyone here in a negative light AT ALL. You guys are like family. I decided to post again because of the awesome nature of this thread - GREAT ONE stevedawg!

So now, here's my prodigal post:

Having been a Dawg back into the '60s, I've heard a HUGE number of genuinely HISTORIC calls, and had the rare privilege of sitting in with Larry Munson back in the early 1990's when he did a local Bulldogs television program in Athens that my buddy Robin Kristal directed and produced. To me, here is the greatest call of all time, in any sport, for any team. I had given up watching the game (televised, I believe, on ABC, which was RARE back then). We were losing to a team we should have been KILLING. They keyed on Herschel and it was working, at least as far as keeping us out of the end zone. In this game, we had to be saved by, of all things, Buck Belue's ARM. Oh my. When this play happened, I was out in the front yard throwing the football with someone and fuming about the rotten game. Third and 8 from inside our 10 yard line, late in the game. Cr@p. Then THIS happened, and I SPRINTED inside!!!

"Buck back. Third down on the 8. In trouble.
Got a block behind him.
Going to throw on the run.
Complete to the 25, to the 30. Lindsay Scott 35, 40. Lindsay Scott 45, 50, 45, 40. Run Lindsay!

Twenty-five, 20, 15, 10, 5. Lindsay Scott! Lindsay Scott! Lindsay Scott!

... Well, I can't believe it. Ninety-two yards and Lindsay really got in a foot race.

I broke my chair. I came right through a chair. A metal, steel chair with about a five-inch cushion.

I broke it. The booth came apart. The stadium, well the stadium fell down.

Now they do have to renovate this thing. They'll have to rebuild it now. This is incredible. You know this game has always been called the World's Greatest Cocktail Party, do you know what's going to happen here tonight, and up at St. Simons and Jekyll Island, and all those places where all those Dog people have got these condominiums for four days?

Man, is there going to be some property destroyed tonight! 26-21. Dogs on top. We were gone. I gave up, you did too. We were out of it and gone. Miracle!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, wlayton, yankeedawg1

More
9 years 8 months ago #61556 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic Lewis Grizzard & Larry Munson
Great to hear from you Thriller. Me thinkswe will more to cheer about than not

This year. Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller, growl

More
9 years 8 months ago #61559 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Lewis Grizzard & Larry Munson
Glad to have you back thriller....please keep posting. :)

PVBDAWG
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller, growl

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #61564 by stevedawg
Replied by stevedawg on topic Lewis Grizzard & Larry Munson
NCdawg, good video. It led me to this one...

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

• stevedawg
  • stevedawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • DAWGS.com moderator
9 years 8 months ago #61578 by TN Dawg
Replied by TN Dawg on topic Lewis Grizzard & Larry Munson
Oh my gosh .... where to begin. I can't. There are so many!

I remember crisp Fall Saturdays as I anticipated getting to listen to Munson call the Georgia game.

Get the picture.....

We miss you Larry - DGD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, wlayton, yankeedawg1

More
Time to create page: 0.045 seconds