Forum

Pruitt/Saban Leadership

9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #61401 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Pruitt/Saban Leadership
DWS, one of the things that I believe is going to be a game changer for us is the linebacking corps as you mention. I also believe that we have a two deep defensive line going into 2014. Defensive line actually looked good to me last season. They will be stronger this season, year of experience and a coach like Rocker teaching. Although I was a supporter of Chris Wilson.

Lots of talk about our defensive backfield, with the strong pass rushing/tackling of our linebackers, I am not as worried about the DB's this year, as opposed to last season.

Maybe my reasoning is wrong, but I did not see a strong defensive backfield with the players that departed at the beginning of Spring practice. At least the group that will line up in the defensive backfield this time around will have some idea of "what to do". That alone makes us better this season, compared to 2013.

Pruitt/Rocker and Company are building depth. While it is bound to bite us in the butt at some point, the overall way Pruitt is interchanging these young players, can only make us stronger. Having served notice that time in grade makes no difference, main thing with that is the young men have bought in. Not the case with grantham.

What I really like about our defense is the difference in the depth. By that I mean some players are better suited against a particular style of offensive play. Could be a different defensive lineup if we play Auburn, or on the other hand play South Carolina. In my simple mind, that is a very good thing. Believe that is what is going on.

DWS, would not be surprised to see "several" players with multiple sacks, or what I consider to be just as effective as a sack, hurries.

Think what I am seeing from Pruitt is a bit like baseball. Strong up the middle. Pruitt will try to force plays to the outside and that is where young men like Floyd will capitalize. Speed and understanding. If we have those two things, our football team could be more than a "surprise". With Wilson and Herrera in the middle, both known to be tacking machines, appears to me that Pruitt/Rocker and Company are ahead of the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAWGtm

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 8 months ago #61403 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Pruitt/Saban Leadership
Two things for me Buc and DWS....

1. our front 7 will be physical and FAST....good as any front 7 in the country

2. I'd rather have 3 star DB's that KNOW what they are doing and want to where our beloved "G" than 5 star DB's who have know idea what to do or where to be and could care less about what school they play for....

We'll have a few growing pains in the secondary but this time around I believe we will get better with each game.....hopefully that front 7 can create so much pressure, they will "carry" the DB's early on.

PVBDAWG
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, DAWGtm, Dawg With Style

More
9 years 8 months ago #61405 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Pruitt/Saban Leadership

wlayton wrote: Two things for me Buc and DWS....

1. our front 7 will be physical and FAST....good as any front 7 in the country

2. I'd rather have 3 star DB's that KNOW what they are doing and want to where our beloved "G" than 5 star DB's who have know idea what to do or where to be and could care less about what school they play for....

We'll have a few growing pains in the secondary but this time around I believe we will get better with each game.....hopefully that front 7 can create so much pressure, they will "carry" the DB's early on.

Truth.

wlayton, your 1. above is spot on no doubt. As DSW refers to above, Floyd and others are "coming".

Also like the fact that Toby Johnson was a terror in the Spring, seems that he was too much to handle. No doubt that Toby Johnson will be playing with one eye on the NFL. Toby needs to come on like gangbusters. He will.

Looking over the front 7, hard for me to see too much difference between the ones and twos, if there is such a thing as 1's and 2's in the Pruitt/Rocker and Company defense, believe the talent is close enough that the decision has not been made yet.

Have read some predictions by those in the media concerning starters, for sure they don't know any more than we do. Depth or lack of depth has been our downfall for a long time. It is very apparent that Pruitt/Rocker understand that . . . . big time.

Days gone by, prima donnas have no place on the defensive side of the ball. Very little chatter anywhere about the three that chose to move on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.032 seconds