Forum

New Georgia Defense

10 years 2 days ago #60097 by growl
Replied by growl on topic New Georgia Defense
Todd Gurley came to the University of Georgia in good shape and ready to play. Its only since he's been here that there has been a question raised about his conditioning. What happened? I think we all know! Complacency.

The sun shines on a different Dawg every day
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 days ago - 10 years 2 days ago #60098 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic New Georgia Defense

growl wrote: Todd Gurley came to the University of Georgia in good shape and ready to play. Its only since he's been here that there has been a question raised about his conditioning. What happened? I think we all know! Complacency.

Seems there was a difference of opinion between our offensive coaches on Gurley's return in the Spring.

Read now that our head coach is in agreement with Pruitt about lean and mean.

Pruitt learned a lot of what he knows under Saban's leadership. Maybe he has passed some of it along to our head coach. Saban is a leader.

growl, totally agree with you posting complacency. The "continuity" of "complacency".

Edit: Might be I did not interpret what you meant about complacency after reading your post again.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
10 years 2 days ago - 10 years 2 days ago #60099 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic New Georgia Defense
Buc, interesting Pruitt brings what he learned from Saban, I assume, about lean and mean. Bama under Saban has always been huge....big OL/DL, big RB's, big LB's...even big WR's. Geez, their LB's were 250lbs.

Saban appeared to me to have created an NFL size college teams that wear you down by pounding and pounding on you.

Kind of interesting to me if Pruitt is emulating Saban.... :unsure:

PVBDAWG

More
10 years 2 days ago #60100 by growl
Replied by growl on topic New Georgia Defense
What I meant when I said complacency was that from where I sit, in the past, ok was good enough to get by, rather than working to get more into shape and push for excellence. Seems that the "D" coaches are way ahead of the offense at this point. Was'nt pointing fingers at TG, he has been a DGD since the day he got here.

The sun shines on a different Dawg every day
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAWGtm

More
10 years 2 days ago - 10 years 2 days ago #60101 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic New Georgia Defense
Good points all wlayton.

From where I sit. A player can be 300 pounds or 200 pounds and still be in shape.

Appears to me that "attitudes" from players and coaches alike have to reach a reasonable finish.

Having had two total hip replacements, understand fully that it takes some work to keep the body in motion.

Mark Richt had a hip replacement, notice the difference in his weight? He is openly saying that he needs to drop weight, along with the players. Richt's hip replacement was over a year ago, so makes me wonder about him not pushing back from the table and exercising. Sometimes young men follow what they see going on around them.

Edit: Agree to a point with the post I picked up from another blog below.

So Gurley was overweight when he was flying to the endzone at Mark Richt Field against gtu? He looked to me every bit the super RB that he was at clemson before the injury.

I have no problem if we want to keep the players in shape. Seems the staff is harping about it on a daily basis.

But I agree with other commenters regarding holdovers from last year’s staff, who allowed the players to get overweight. Their performance and accountability should be called out too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
10 years 2 days ago #60102 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic New Georgia Defense
Yep, those Bama LB's may have been 250lbs but they could RUN......heck everyone of the team could RUN...OL,DL, etc...everybody.

PVBDAWG
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds