Forum

Rail Road Tracks

10 years 1 month ago #59341 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Rail Road Tracks

TampaDawg wrote: I was one of those Track-Dawgs that watched the games from the tracks. Boy that was some great times! First time I was there I saw Hershel run up and down that field that day. I was hooked to the tracks! ;)

Later on in life my wife and I got married and they already close in the stadium from the tracks and I started going into the stadium.

But boy do I missed throwing beer cans and chicken bones at Clemson, Auburn, SC etc etc LMAO :woohoo:

TampaDawg, folks like you were UGA backers that Erk spoke to his entire time in Athens. Good on you . . . . :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #59694 by scooby
Replied by scooby on topic Rail Road Tracks

Buc wrote: Have tried several times to download a photograph I have of my Grandfather and his fireman on Engine 208. Somehow it does not work. Anyway, my Grandfather weighed well over 350 pounds, grew up in the North Georgia Mountains, had a fourth grade education. Went to prison for four years for a murder. One of his friends on his death bed told the autorities that my Grandfather did not shoot the man. Grandfather released from prison, went on to become an Engineer on the Gainesville Midland. Spent many hours just listening to him and his stories.

When he returned home from a trip on the coal burners, he would be covered with soot. Before he passed, the Gainesville Midland stopped using the coal burners like 208 and 209 and took up the diesel way of doing things. When he returned from a trip, not a spot of coal dust on him. Amazing from where I sit, 4th grade education and accomplish what he did.

Would love to see some of that spirit in Athens. Big money has a way of causing shortages in the brain. I said that.

Said on this board back some years. My Uncle Bill Brown was a noted figure in the Agricultural School. When he retired, it was something to see, those that appreciated what Uncle Bill passed on to the University of Georgia.

Many in my clan have graduated from the University of Georgia. I did not. I was recruited by Shug Jordan, but there was a problem in the Far East and I landed far, far away.

I know that some here don't appreciate me "barking". I have deep roots in Athens and I don't mean to be ugly, but like those before me, I stand my ground and am willing at my age to back it up.

Yes, I want change for the better. My patience runs thin, very thin since our last National Championship.

No, I am not a bleeding heart. I believe in God, Family, Nation and the Georgia Bulldogs.

Not proof reading this, if I made a lot of errors, spit happens.

:)

That is a nice story about your Grandpappy!

I would not be surprised one bit if our kinfolk crossed paths back in the day. My Father studied Ag Engineering at UGA in the 50's and my great grandfather, who I never new, worked for the RR in Georgia in the early 1900's.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

• scooby
  • Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
10 years 2 weeks ago #59696 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Rail Road Tracks
scooby, if your Father is still alive ask him if he remembers Dr. Bill Brown. My bet is he does, or someone in the family does. Dr. Bill Brown was my uncle. Passed away some years back, in the 70's. University had a very gratifying going away for Uncle Bill, classy individual, classy University. :)

Do have a lot of Gainesville Midland stories, spent much of my youth around the "railroad tracks" on Grove Street in Gainesville. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: scooby

More
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds