Forum

One game at a time: Ole Miss

11 years 5 months ago #50217 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic Re: One game at a time: Ole Miss
The line is 14 points. Means nothing, apparently - just ask Florida. On the other hand, I would have set a 40 point line against us for FU, so maybe there's SOMETHING to Vegas.

On a completely unrelated note. Today is the 115th anniversary of the banning of football in the state of Georgia. From Wikipedia:

"1897 Season
1897 Georgia Bulldogs football
Conference Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association
1897 record 2-1-0 (2-0-0 SIAA)
Head coach Charles McCarthy
Home stadium Herty Field
Seasons

The 1897 Georgia Bulldogs football team completed the season with a 2-1-0 record. In the 1897 season, Georgia beat Georgia Tech for the first time and met both Clemson and Virginia for the first time. This was the Georgia Bulldogs' first season under the guidance of head coach Charles McCarthy.

It was in the Virginia game of 1897 that tragedy struck the Georgia Bulldogs. In the second half of that game, a Georgia fullback named Richard Vonalbade ("Von") Gammon, was fatally injured in a play. In reaction to his death, the Georgia, Georgia Tech and Mercer football teams disbanded, the Atlanta Journal ran a headline proclaiming, the "Death Knell of Football" and the Georgia legislature passed a bill to outlaw football in the state of Georgia. As the bill sat on the desk of Georgia Governor William Yates Atkinson, a letter that Gammon's mother, Rosalind Burns Gammon, had written to the state legislature was revealed. In her letter, she pleaded with the legislators not to pass the bill because her son so loved football. As a result reading her letter, Governor Atkinson vetoed the bill to ban football in Georgia."
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton, Buc, gillette, DAWGtm, growl, Dawg With Style

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #50218 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Re: One game at a time: Ole Miss
thriller, I have been a history buff all my life, like girls better, but history rates high in my book. Great piece, really enjoyed the "history lesson" professor. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller

More
11 years 5 months ago #50239 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic Re: One game at a time: Ole Miss
BTW Buc, Von Gammon most likely died from a morphine overdose. I read a more detailed account of his death, and they mentioned that he went into a pile and was found unconscious. He vomited and was showing signs of a concussion. Two doctors who were in the crowd ran out and administered morphine (which I would think you would NOT want to do for a concussion, though I'm not a doctor). He died some time after the game. I thought this was really interesting in light of all the attention concussions are getting these days.

More
11 years 5 months ago #50250 by gillette
Replied by gillette on topic Re: One game at a time: Ole Miss
As I read the AJC article on Gurley, I couldn’t help but first think of our O line in how much I feel they’ve improved. Although he has tremendous talent, I feel like the O line deserves a tad bit of credit here.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying our O line is going to win some kind of special award for the #1 O line in the country (or even 50th for that matter) but they’ve made a great stride toward improvement. Thinking back, their faults were really displayed during the USC and UK game and Gurley’s and Marshall’s stats in those games reflect that IMO. Ther were other games as well but our offense was able to take up some slack.

With my fingers crossed and another hand knocking on wood, an improved O line in these last 4 games will pay dividends heading into Atlanta.

blogs.ajc.com/uga-sports-blog/2012/11/01...logs_uga_sports_blog
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller, Buc, TampaDawg

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #50251 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic One game at a time: Ole Miss
I don't know what's up with our O-Line, but I'm not sure they can really improve that much so quickly.

Guys, I guess it's just because of the .. ya know.. past SEVERAL years, but I'm worried that Florida game has us
now over confident. I've seen it from some of the fans, and I've seen it in some of the attitudes from the coaches. It's like we've just up and decided the issues from that SC game
are all behind us and by golly we sure are on our way now.

Like the title of the thread says... one game at a time. Don't get over confident or someone we should defeat might jump
up and bite us on the backside.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller

More
11 years 5 months ago #50253 by UGAChemDawg
Replied by UGAChemDawg on topic Re: One game at a time: Ole Miss

Wartdawg wrote: I don't know what's up with our O-Line, but I'm not sure they can really improve that much so quickly.

Guys, I guess it's just because of the .. ya know.. past SEVERAL years, but I'm worried that Florida game has us
now over confident. I've seen it from some of the fans, and I've seen it in some of the attitudes from the coaches. It's like we've just up and decided the issues from that SC game
are all behind us and by golly we sure are on our way now.

Like the title of the thread says... one game at a time. Don't get over confident or someone we should defeat might jump
up and bite us on the backside.

I do not understand how anyone could be over confident from that win. Every problem that we had before the Florida game made itself evident during the Florida game. We won largely because Florida has just as many problems of their own. Our defense got motivated to play by someone who shouldn't have had to motivate them against a team with no offense. As for Murray and company, how anybody can look at the offensive side of the football and come to the conclusion that things are ok is beyond me.

• UGAChemDawg
  • Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.039 seconds