Forum

Another upgrade

11 years 6 months ago #48818 by sadlerdawg
Another upgrade was created by sadlerdawg

wlayton wrote: Hmmmmm..........I find it interesting that COACH Bobo (not Bozo) kinda carried us tonight.

While I agree with that statement, and I am prepared to upgrade bobo to Bobo (notice the capitalization), I'm not quite ready to bestow Coach onto him yet. I'll reserve that until after the next 3 games.
I was impressed with his play calling again tonight. Using the run to set up the pass, TE use, FB use, misdirections, intermediate passes, even a swing pass (although Murray owes Gurley a meal for almost getting him killed). All these things that have been absent for years are actually working (go figure).
Nice to see a deviation from the screen, bomb, draw, punt. B)

The SMART era CONTINUES!!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: bulldawg36869, WoodstockDawg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• sadlerdawg
  • sadlerdawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
11 years 6 months ago #48820 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Re: Another upgrade
Appears that we have many folks on the offensive side that are very talented. Some of the younger folks can only get better and that could be scary for our enemies. :)

My real concern now after watching several other teams in the SEC East play is our offensive line. This has been discussed at length for some time and rightfully so. We are entering a stretch now that we are going to face some serious front sevens.

If Mike Bobo continues to mix his play calling up, should help our offensive line in what could be some difficult situations ahead. Pleases me that more of our offensive talent is being utilized, not playing to a certain group as the recent past has shown.

Been on AM a bit recently, have to say this . . . . AM threw some beautiful passes last night, appears the time with the Manning Group might have paid off. AM is stepping up in the pocket more so than before. Of course that comes with having trust for your offensive line. Bennett, you da man . . . :)

More
11 years 6 months ago #48823 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic Re: Another upgrade
Things are looking up. We must get over these slow starts especially on the D side of the ball. O played well and game was nicely called.

One game at a time. Now time to whoop Vandy.

thecountrynation.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: WoodstockDawg

More
11 years 6 months ago #48824 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Re: Another upgrade
ogredawg, with all of the hoop-la after last seasons contest, this truly will be Vandy's Super Bowl.

Dawgs have come quite a distance in the recent past. Being able to sit Jarvis was huge. Without the depth we have and the competition we played against, Jarvis would have played.

Like what I am seeing with this young group of freshmen, both sides of the ball. Great group of young athletes to continue building on, makes our future brighter. Grantham definitely preparing for Jarvis' departure to the NFL. Jordan Jenkins is going to be all that, Grantham is making sure. Also like seeing our players going strong in the fourth quarter. S&C is beginning to prove that we were on the wrong track a while back.

More
11 years 6 months ago #48825 by LimeyDawg
Replied by LimeyDawg on topic Re: Another upgrade
Hah, at one point in the first half I actually said the following:

"Is Willie Martinez running the defense?" The way the owls were carving up the secondary, I was concerned we had returned to the bend don't break methodology. Sorry, CTG...sorry.

Of course, that was just the fan in me spewing nothings. I do wish we'd put these slow starts to bed and come out firing. The second half dawgs are a completely different animal. First half: ratty little chihuahua--noisy, but good for little except it's nuisance value. Second half: gnarly junkyard pitbull ready to tear the heads off anyone who climbs the fence. Sure would be nice to have that pitbull all game long.

Saw a lot of young pups get reps, which was good. Gurley and Marshall were on it, but it was also nice to see Bennett and Lynch getting in on the action. It also didn't escape me that AM is nasty when the O line gives him time to throw.

Looking forward to the game against the 'Dores. Wonder if CTG has to be muzzled for this one :blink:

"The freedom of individuals to verbally to oppose or to challenge police actions without thereby risking arrest is one of the principal characteristics by which we distinguish a free nation from a police state."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
11 years 6 months ago #48829 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic Re: Another upgrade
I think the good news is that the O line at least has its moments, even when the blocking schemes are complicated. I saw that several times against Missouri - especially on that long run from our own end zone by Gurley. They had some crossing assignments that were pulled off to perfection on that one, and again on the Malcome run to polish off the game - perfect blocking.

That is encouraging. I think they'll only get better.

As for the "D" - I have to believe that once we put all 11 starters on the field at the same time, they won't be as prone to the big play.

More
Time to create page: 0.031 seconds