Forum

Mark Richt Has Had Enough . . . I Hope

11 years 8 months ago #47984 by SBR1969
Replied by SBR1969 on topic Re: Mark Richt Has Had Enough . . . I Hope
Got bored the other day and watched a movie with my 6 year old son; The Perfect Game. About a little league team from Mexico. They had no superstars, were undersized, faced ridicule and racism. They caught a bus to the Mexico/Texas border and walked the rest of the way in order to compete in the little league world series. ALl they did was win every game, with one being a perfect game, and won the world series. I am sure there was embellishment of the facts in the movie, but it does not change the outcome. This very well coached, highly disciplined team, with no "me" players, beat every other team they came up against. Perhaps all the so called "superstars" should watch this film to see what being a "team" is all about. Just my two cents. Agree with every word you said Buc. Hope this is a new beginning for UGA football.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #47985 by Buc
SBR1969, first things first . . . . really like your avatar.

Probably many on this board have played "Team Sports". Sometimes the team that we played for/on did not win the championship, but it did not ruin the fact that we were there, gave all we had, facts were the team or teams that beat us were plain and simply better.

Winning makes for great memories, often times the results of winning or losing can come down to a single person, and that person is usually the person in change, the coach. We have all played with folks that were more talented than we were, but sometimes or most times that is God given. Means just as much to a team member that was not as talented to be a part of something special, and that is where "Team Play" has a way of making all hands on deck equal. Most talented person might score the winning touchdown or hit the game winning homerun, however there were four quarters of football and several innings of baseball that it took everyones efforts to help the person that ran for the touchdown or hit the homerun.

Many on this board remember the last National Championship UGA won. Think about this, even today everyone knows the name Herschel Walker. Wonder how many folks could name the other people that played their hearts out in that game. Facts are, probably would not have won the NC if HW had not been a part of the "Team". Fact also . . . . Herschel had a lot of help from those that did not have his talent, but they pulled together and brought the trophy home.

I like many of the coaching moves that UGA has made, also am on board with McGarity. Last couple of years there have been some problems on our team, serious problems. Appears this new attitude that I think I see is the right step not only for the coaching staff, it will bring the supporters of UGA football closer, guess we could be called a "Team".

I have at times been one of the harshest critics on this board, I don't do that to tear the team down, far from the truth. If what I am witnessing in our Head Coach Mark Richt to be true, then myself and many others were on the right track when discussing the merits of those leading the UGA Football Program.

Thanks for the post SBR1969, made me stop and think.

Go Dawgs . . . coach'em up!

Edit: A link about a future Bulldog that understands character. Same high school (Plant) that AM attended. Serious football school, academics . . . required. Good example of a head coach that runs his program with love and . . . . keeping it real. :)

www.tampabay.com/hometeam/blog/plants-bo...ooses-georgia/14381/

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #47986 by Buc
Just when some of us thought that Buck Belue was begnning to understand, he comes with this.

I have read everything that I can find that Buck has written. Where was he/is he when Mike Bobo who he openly designates as a friend is/was openly being questioned about some of his comments and play calling decisions.

Could it be that his defense or requested methods on how to handle Valdosta players differs from others that I have noticed he is quick to question. Face it, this is another supposed "writer" that came to prominence after being associated with Herschel Walker.

Buck Belue is and always has been full of himself. What I read below is the single largest piece of garbage I have read this year, and maybe any year, from a supposed "writer".

My opinion folks.

Slam Jay Rome?
Posted by Buck Belue at 8/19/2012 8:58 PM

Not sure why Coach Richt is slamming redshirt freshman tight-end Jay Rome? Sounds like Coach Lilly is being extra hard on him too. Must say, it has me shaking my head.

Sounds like they've got questions about his commitment level. Guess that has something to do with Jay electing to play basketball last winter, which is unfair. They might want to try a dose of encouragement...that might work better than calling him out publicly. Just saying.

What did Coach Richt say?

Jay needs to work harder on run-blocking. Jay's got a ways to go. Jay needs to play every play. Jay's tempo isn't consistent. Oh, please.

Can't remember Coach Richt ever ripping Orson or Aron White's run-blocking (which was always suspect). So, why this?

Best guess is this: Jay Rome's big-play TD in the G-Day scrimmage caused a big buzz. The coaches don't believe he's earned his spot yet. So, time to criticize him, in order temper the enthusiasm. That's how it normally works.

Fact is, Rome is ready to help. Not sure how tearing him down is going to help.

Now I must admit, the two-sport issue is a hot button for me. Been there and done that. Had to deal with coaches that held that against me. Not fun. And it's the commitment thing the coaches have trouble with...while you are playing baseball/basketball, the other guy was with us full-time.
And don't even get me started on these youth coaches that are preaching one-spot participation.

Jay Rome is committed. And so was I, when I was playing baseball & football.

Edit: While I am at it . . . this is how Buc feels about choice.

www.billcook.net/puttin-up-the-flag.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller, Dawg With Style

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #47987 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic Re: Mark Richt Has Had Enough . . . I Hope
That big play against Florida in 1980 was due to a break down in Florida's coverage, NOT the greatness of Belue's arm. Also credit Lindsey Scott with showing the speed necessary to break that one, NOT Belue's arm. Other than that, Buck Belue's role on that 1980 team was to give the ball to HW. He did that admirably.

What is his basis for defending Jay Rome? Is Buck at all of the UGA practices? Is he working with the tight ends daily? Is he doing some sort of in depth analysis of the line play and blocking work of the O-Line, of which Mr. Rome is a member? Somehow I doubt he is doing any of that.

The benefit of a coach making that kind of remark public is to get to a young man's pride. Hopefully it will work, as I'm hoping Rome turns out to be one of our greats. Hopefully he won't be another Randy Moss, who took off plays while someone willing to give it his all sat on the pines and watched a play get wasted. Honestly, I hope he doesn't turn out to be another Orson Charles, who (in my ever so humble opinion) probably won't make a pro team, not because he can't catch, but because he won't block.

Buck Belue, do all of us a favor - only comment on the things you TRULY are an expert on, or those things of which you have GENUINE inside information. Just criticizing a coaching staff because they're trying to get a young man to play at a higher level isn't helping anyone, least of all Jay Rome.

Edit [And Buc (not Belue) - thanks for that video! Simple and straightforward and true!]
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #47988 by Buc
thriller, know you are a good stat man, probably have seen or know the information in the link. Like you mentioned in your post, Belue did a good job of handing the ball to Herschel Walker. Check his passing and rushing stats. After doing that, makes one wonder why he would be trying to tell folks how AM can improve his game. ;)

www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/buck-belue-1.html

Edit: What about the TD's versus Interceptions? His scores came from the ball being placed on the one yard line. Guess he wanted some of that glory.

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
11 years 8 months ago #47989 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic Re: Mark Richt Has Had Enough . . . I Hope
Belue's entire career looks like one SEASON for AM. I hope his arm didn't get too sore from all that throwing! :ohmy: :lol:

More
Time to create page: 0.030 seconds