Forum

Mark Richt Has Had Enough . . . I Hope

11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #47974 by Buc
Maybe I am missing the boat, but on a couple of threads made mention of Mark Richt showing a side that I have not seen before.

Hear me out. I believe that Mark Richt has had enough of the "pat on the back method" as a way of coaching his football team. If what I see now is the way Richt is going to run this team, count me in as a backer. Mark Richt witnessed what happened to his mentor, Bobby Bowden, and BB ended up on the street, and not one football player there to pick him up. BB made mistakes, and Mark Richt was headed down that road, or close. Bobby Bowden was a players coach, Mark Richt wanted the same.

Mark Richt has bent over backwards in many cases surrounding some of these "snotty nosed" football players. In this old fart's opinion, many not all of the "problem" children thought they had Richt figured out and lied to his face and ran a different route when faced with reality.

Should not bring this up again, but will. Washington tried to take all of us, you and me down the same path that too many of Richt's players have taken him. Stop it, we are a bit older and wiser and don't accept BS easily.

Have said before on this board, especially this upcoming season . . . there is a lot of pressure on Mark Richt's shoulders THIS YEAR, 2012. He has most of the players needed to have a very successful year, he however cannot allow the prima donnas to run his program.

One football, who gets the ball . . . take a minute and look at the possibilities. If you are not going to embrace everything that your position requires, then that appears to be a "I" player not a "team" player. Some or many football plays are successful because they do the things that the position requires, even though they are not going to get the football and know that.

This is probably a bit too harsh for many, but . . . . Jay Rome if you only want to perform when you have a chance to catch the ball, I suggest you play basketball and allow someone else to play the tight end position. On the basketball court you saw last season that you are not going to the NBA. FACT. Haven't heard it said on this board, but . . . . Orson Charles was guilty of this same type of play.

Mark Richt good on you for what appears to be an attitude change. Don't let these kids, yes (kids) run your program. They have all of the God given talents that many would love to have. Problem with folks like this, we have watched them come through this program in the past few years, they don't really give a damn about the Red and Black or any other color, it is all about them.

Second year on campus, compare Malcolm Mitchell and Jay Rome from the same high school team . . . . see the difference? Beginning to think that Mark Richt does and he has grown in my eyes. 6'6" over 250 pounds and you don't want to block . . . . as has been said many times on this board and others . . . . have never seen the letter "I" in TEAM. Seems too many "snotty nosed kids" have a sense of entitlement. Jay Rome . . . does the shoe fit?

www.macon.com/2012/08/18/2142009/rome-ge...t.html#storylink=rss
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldSouthDawg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
11 years 7 months ago #47977 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic Re: Mark Richt Has Had Enough . . . I Hope
Things were said about Jay during HS that he had a tendancy to be lazy at times and was getting by on his name. Good for CMR in calling him out.

thecountrynation.com

More
11 years 7 months ago #47978 by Buc

ogredawg wrote: Things were said about Jay during HS that he had a tendancy to be lazy at times and was getting by on his name. Good for CMR in calling him out.

ogredawg, coming from the Valdosta area even though you have been away for a while, feel sure that you still have friends and probably family in that area. When I ranted in the thread was not sure if I had done the right thing after posting. Maybe I did not say things the way I should have or could have, that however is my M/O.

Think that you and I have been pretty much on the same page on most issues that are covered on this board. Said it before, say it again . . . . I have deep respect for your opinions, you are true to your beliefs.

Started a while back to pass along a bit of information to you, waited for the right moment. I have a friend in my area that I see from time to time at the local VA. Will only use his first name. Greg played football for your high school, attended UGA under VD was injured and ended up in the Marine Corps. Greg play on the first team from your high school that beat Valdosta. You might know who I am talking about. Big, wide shouldered man, great guy, lots of UGA football knowledge. One other thing . . . . he is Greg Reid's Uncle. Said Greg Reid has always been in trouble, much more serious than some of the things folks know about.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ogredawg

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #47979 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic Re: Mark Richt Has Had Enough . . . I Hope
Know who you speak of Buc. Not personally because that was a little after my "time". I still talk to many of my friends from down in S Ga., and have lots of family there also. Most of the info that I get is second hand on the Cats. That is what a few said about Jay, that he has all the tools but tends to slack off at times.

I also highly respect your opinions Buc and would not have you change the way you express them one bit.

Thank you for the kind words.

thecountrynation.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
11 years 7 months ago #47980 by OldSouthDawg
Replied by OldSouthDawg on topic Re: Mark Richt Has Had Enough . . . I Hope
I really enjoyed your post Buc, I think it is a big problem with some of these kids coming out of HS these days that you use to not hardly ever see back in the day. I think 9 out of 10 players use to consider it an honor to be a Dawg and play for UGA and give it their all on every play, and not just be a me player or just think of themselves and use UGA as just a step to the NFL. But I think it is a society problem with todays youth everything is about themselves and look at me. also trying to cut corners and just doing enough to get by. anyway just IMO. GO DAWGS!!!!!!

Once A DAWG Always A DAWG
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, Dawg With Style

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #47981 by growl
Replied by growl on topic Re: Mark Richt Has Had Enough . . . I Hope
I've been thinking back to when I was a young un and can remember the young folks (especially boys) that had to have the flashiest car with loud exhaust,the showiest wheels,the purtiest girl, the nicest clothes, and generally just being a show off to attract attention. Its nothing new. Most had to grow out of it. The norm amoung young men has'nt changed at all,fortunately just needs a little more supervision to keep it under control.

The sun shines on a different Dawg every day
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dawg With Style

More
Time to create page: 0.029 seconds