Forum

Missouri/Georgia . . . Show Time

11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #47906 by Buc
It was time for the serious business of Missouri and Georgia looking each other in the eye and discussing the game. Bloggers with thoughts. Below is an article that I think plays fair when dealing in realism. There will be much back and forth in the next couple of weeks, college football is . . . back. :woohoo:

Much can be said about the article below, wondering what the board members think and of course that means giving opinions. You folks know me, I have a lot of things to say, plan to do just that. Will start with openers . . . a shot across the bow.

The Missouri defense should and will have a hard time with a couple of folks not mentioned in the article. Two big, talented tight ends. Hate to single out one tight end, however this game could be a spectacular first game for Jay Rome. Also, big help if the offensive line needs additional bodies blocking. Your go. :)

thekcmothership.com/mizzou/missouri-vs-g...prediction-by-coach/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dawg With Style

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #47907 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Re: Missouri/Georgia . . . Show Time
Maybe some of you folks are like me, when some of the terminologies being used these days don't quite register, I start hunting for answers.

Noticed that Grantham used the term "Star" and best I could tell, Grantham at this point thinks that JCH is the man for that job and Todd Grantham uses the term "Star". As CTG said, JCH is a player, can play numerous positions, seems to fit the "Star" position, maybe as soon as game 1. Grantham did not say JCH would start game 1, me thinking out loud again.

According to the clip below featuring Saban, he goes into detail about Bill Belichick when he was the head coach at Cleveland. The clip below explains in detail the reasoning behind the use of the position being called "Star".

Reason I bring this up . . . . The person that wrote the article that was responsible for this thread starting, mentioned that Missouri would probably try and exploit the UGA defense over the middle. Think he said that would be their best chance or something close to that. Believe we will see 5 and 6 men defensive backfields against the Tigers. Strong defensive front allows folks to drop back into coverage. We also seem to have a wealth of fast, strong linebackers.

Move over to the 5:30 area of the video, "Star" talk begins there.

!

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
11 years 7 months ago #47908 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re: Missouri/Georgia . . . Show Time
Buc, thought the 1st post article was pretty spot on except........

1. With Brandon Smith back (which will be HUGE), I believe MM will take more offensive snaps than the article implies, unless we have the game under control. If close, look for MM in the game at WR much more in the 2nd half.

2. Agree with his assessment of their OL vs. our front 7......could be an embarassing mismatch for Mizzou. In that case (like you stated) we CAN play 5-6 DB's to help shut down their passing attack.

3. Franklin is dangerous but I will go with solid, experienced and tough QB play of AM anytime. If AM cuts down on mistakes, he could put up big numbers. Actually believe his numbers may be average in this game because I believe we will run right at them (that's the pivotal part about our OL I've been redundant about). Their DL is average at best.

4. Finally......his score is wrong......we SHOULD win by 14-17 imo.

PVBDAWG

More
11 years 7 months ago #47909 by Buc
wlayton, with you on several points. Do believe that our front seven are going to cause Franklin problems that he has not faced before. Understand that he is an athlete, but we have some folks that are not only sizeable, they can run.

If AM learned one thing from last year, I hope it is this. If every man plays his position and plays it well, no need for one man to try and do more than is called for. I admire AM for trying to make something out of nothing, but too often nothing turns out to be worse than "nothing".

Also believe that we have enough talent on the offensive side to wear many defenses out. Hope Mike Bobo is listening. Easier to hit those homeruns when the defense begins to gulp for air. wlayton, really hope that we see some changes from Bobo, especially with the talent that I know is on his side of the ball. Refuse to believe as you do that Missouri can consistently stop the run, especially when I look at the backs in Athens now.

The young man that you JAX folks sent to Athens (John Theus, right tackle) will be all that when we play the Tigers. Really happy that Jordan Jenkins and John Theus cast their lot with us.

"John's not gotten to the point where we're going to name him the starter yet, but I don't think there's any doubt he's going to play and he knows that," said head coach Mark Richt

Theus' preparation includes trying to block consensus All-American Jarvis Jones who led the conference in sacks last season and Jones has yet to cut him any slack.

"I'm trying to make it my business that they have him ready from day one," Jones said.

Go Dawgs, coach'em up!

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
11 years 7 months ago #47910 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re: Missouri/Georgia . . . Show Time
I'm with ya Buc......very excited.....guess we'll see.

Main thing for me is that we play smart, aggressive and cut down on stupid errors/turnovers. If any opponent can beat THAT, I can live with it.

PVBDAWG
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller, Buc, DAWGtm

More
11 years 7 months ago #47911 by Buc
A bit more about Quayvon Hicks. On this board many of us were really happy with the fact that Hicks was on his way to UGA. Specifically to play fullback. Think it was WoodstockDawg that said Amen to that.

Quayvon Hicks now weighs in at 260. With his power and some speed, would hate to be filling the hole that he is running through. Hicks will make his presence known this year.

Good article below.

www.macon.com/2012/08/12/2135400/georgia...hicks-preparing.html

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.034 seconds