Forum

Let's hope this pans out . . .

11 years 10 months ago #46918 by sadlerdawg
Replied by sadlerdawg on topic Re: Let's hope this pans out . . .
duck makes a good point about the 08 season. Anyone remember the odds of a UGA BCS championship that year? No? I'll give you a hint.......8-1.

The SMART era CONTINUES!!!!!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #46919 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic Re: Let's hope this pans out . . .
You guys are right, Vegas can be beaten. Want to try making a living at it? But even 8 to 1 is not the best odds they are laying. Bama gets those. I am just saying I feel better when Vegas smiles upon us than when they frown. :)

• thriller
  • Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #46920 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Re: Let's hope this pans out . . .
Every year around this time we see “early committed” players to programs begin to look at other options. The Derrick Henry chatter that is going around now is a good example of just how competitive college football and especially the SEC have become.

When Henry committed I feel sure that he was “all in” at that point in time. Actually aids the school of choice in their recruiting after a commitment like Henry. Let’s face it, all of us want to be on the winning team, football or otherwise.

Henry might be “all that” and that will be determined after leaving high school football and entering what many of us think is the best football conference in the country. Looking at film, his size and speed certainly point in the direction of being a really outstanding running back or might end up because of his size entertaining another position.

One thing is for sure, there was a player at Auburn, now with the Carolina Panthers that also had/has size and speed and we witnessed the results. That same player was recruited to play for UGA, we however wanted him as a tight end. Not a knock, players are recruited for certain positions because of size and speed.

Another look/see is the fact that we had too many seasons of running backs with “potential” in high school that did not pan out in the college game. Don’t have to call names, we are familiar with anyone that has worn the Red and Black.

Takes me to this . . . It appears that we have or are close to ending our running back problems with our recent recruiting efforts. If the young men lining up in our backfield now come close to what we want and expect in some cases, I can see where Henry would “look around” for the university that gives him the greatest opportunity to play right away. BMOC don’t like to wait or redshirt when they have been at the “top” their entire “young” lives. I would love to have Henry sign on in February with UGA, would be silly of me to not want him in Athens. Henry has to do what is best for Henry. With success in the SEC, he will play pro football prior to his graduation from any school in the conference.

Comes down to this in my mind . . . UGA has signed the top running backs in the nation the last couple of years, going to be hard to come to Athens with visions of starting right away. Also will say this . . . I am at this point sold on who we have as running backs and would not trade them for Henry. Could be a mistake, but if the reports that have come out of Athens recently hold water, running back is not a top priority for UGA at this point.

Concentrate on the OL and DL with some of the scholarships that remain. There will also be some that are truly committed to UGA that won’t for some reason be able to step into the program right away. Happens with most schools. Continue to build depth along the fronts, not many good things happen to highly rated running backs if the “hosses” ain’t in place. All of us have become aware of that recently.

Good luck and happy trails to Henry and any other young man that chooses to play football at whatever university. This is their time prior to committing. Once the commitment is made with signature, it is much like entering the Armed Services . . . . When you raise your hand, say the words, give your soul to God, you’re ass belongs to us.

Just a thought. Lots of talent, we get our share. Hoping we see a lot of creative play calling this year.

As thriller said. Let's hope this pans out . . .

Go Dawgs, Coach’em up! :)

More
11 years 10 months ago #46921 by duck
Replied by duck on topic Re: Let's hope this pans out . . .
The only reason Vegas is smiling at us is our schedule. We probably have the easiest schedule in the nation. Yet they pick us to lose to the only quality team we play in USC. We always lose to some team we are suppose to beat, be it Tenn, Vandy,Fla ect. I have been saying for the past 2 years, and I will not waver, for if our program has gone to the point that USC will beat us every year as Fla did with SS then it proves my point it is the coach. We have better recruting class that USC our history is 6 times that of USC, but why now is it the we are below USC. To me it is like saying Vandy is the new power house and we will never beat Vandy again, I am just saying, something is wrong, when you have a school like USC beat you twice and picked to win 3 in a row.

I don't want to get on the CMR thing again, but who have UGA beat lately, and you look at SS and see who his teams have beaten. I'm just saying for me as far as who is the better head coach, it is by far SS. For me, if we lose to the ranked teams again this year, CMR has got to go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bulldawg36869

More
11 years 10 months ago #46922 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic Re: Let's hope this pans out . . .
You're right, duck. I retract all of my previous statements. :laugh:

• thriller
  • Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
11 years 10 months ago #46923 by growl
Replied by growl on topic Re: Let's hope this pans out . . .
Should we just go ahead and forfeit then??????????????

The sun shines on a different Dawg every day

More
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds