Dawgs.com
Remember me
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Dawg Talk
  • Page:

TOPIC: Urban Meyer, A Joke

Urban Meyer, A Joke 2 years 5 months ago #1

Fellows, I know that this is a UGA site. Know that I am probably a bit different than some that post here. I try and look at the overall picture of college football and it does not start and end with UGA Football.

So much goes into sports, football especially. Looking around and keeping my eyes on Urban Meyer and the media that totally supports anything that will move the championship trophy away from the SEC. I highlighted one paragraph from the link below, could not stomach what this reporter laid out for the public to read.

Have had more than one conversation with "gators" down this way (that happens over lunches and meetings a lot). So many stories, such a short time to get the "real message" out.

Urban Meyer knows nothing about discipline, he understands how to move "his efforts forward". I say this to Urban Meyer, as many in the Sunshine State agree with and discuss with me . . . "you ain't Nick Saban" . . . Nick Saban is the primary reason Urban Meyer left the SEC. It is not discussed openly in the print media, but Urban Meyer knew that Alabama was a tough hill to climb. Urban that "ain't" a hill, it is a "mountain". Here is hoping that Michigan and Michigan State understand that he left the SEC because he knew his "gimmicks" were no longer working in the "Deep South".

Reminds me a bit of Steve Spurrier, real full of himself and moved from Florida to the Washington Redskins. How did that turn out. Know that there will be someone to say, what about Saban and the NFL. kentdaddy, never leaving the BS alone that is Ohio State and Urban Meyer. :)

Zac Jackson wrote the garbage below . . . . One Man's Opinion. . . .

COLUMBUS, Ohio - New Ohio State coach Urban Meyer recently completed individual, post-spring practice meetings with every player on his roster.

Those players now know where they stand.

Like, exactly where they stand.

"It was made very clear where we are," Meyer said Wednesday.

Meyer pulls no punches and holds no regard for ego or feelings. Each 15-minute meeting included Meyer sharing an evaluation from the strength coaches, an evaluation from the assistant coaches who work closely with the player, an academic evaluation and the final answer from the man hired to be The Answer in moving Ohio State's program past the turbulence of the last 17 months and on to a bright, championship-laden future.

Meyer's high standards -- on and off the field -- have been a welcome change for some players and probably a complete culture shock to others. Meyer discussed his feelings and the results of those meetings and unveiled Ohio State's post-spring depth chart Wednesday in his first public remarks since Ohio State's spring game on April 21.

"We set the depth chart now, and we made a big emphasis with the players this spring, that it's not just about fundamental development and skill development, it's about earning a spot," Meyer said. "When we get to camp in August, it's not about developing the depth chart. It's about trying to go win a game."

Meyer said it's been his experience that talent can win a college football team "seven or eight games," and the proper discipline mixed with talent can get a team to nine wins. Getting beyond that, he said, comes down to leadership -- and he said he's stressed leadership throughout the spring and did so again in his individual player meetings.

"The leadership is not where it needs to be," he said.

In those meetings, Meyer said he and the player "sit across the table" and discuss areas of strengths and weakness and each player's role in the program. The worst thing to have, Meyer said, is any "cloudiness" about where a player stands or how he's handling his responsibilities.

"It's not always comfortable," he said.

The public release of the depth chart provides a glimpse into how some of those meetings -- and how the offseason as a whole -- might have gone. Meyer expounded upon some areas, praised his offensive line group for the strides it made in the spring and said he sees enough talent for the passing game to make strides into the fall.

"It's the competitive nature and leadership of the quarterback position," Meyer said. "If Kenny Guiton and Braxton Miller are really good leaders, you'll see a much better passing game. If they're not, you won't."

Meyer said the offense as a whole was a "clown show for about the first three weeks of spring practice" but made strides from there. He said the receiving corps entered spring practice as "probably the most unprepared group I've ever dealt with as far as practice."

Suffice to say that preparation won't be overlooked from here on out.

The new sheriff in town isn't afraid to wield his power and share his true feelings.

"Football is the same way it's been for years," Meyer said. "The toughest team, the most committed team is going to find a way a to win a game."
  • Buc
  • Senior Dawg
  • Thank you received: 2658
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AllDawgs5, Dawg With Style

Re: Urban Meyer, A Joke 2 years 5 months ago #2

Go Michigan.

Sent from my LG-MS910 using Tapatalk 2
  • kentdaddy
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Sage Dawg
  • Thank you received: 114

Urban Meyer, A Joke 2 years 4 months ago #3

I got to the spot where the writer mentioned UM's high standards on AND OFF the field, but that caused me to laugh so hard that I couldn't continue.

Sent via: ..I dunno..magic?
  • Wartdawg
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Junkyard Dawg
  • Thank you received: 884
NO EXCUSES - Last SEC championship 2005

Re: Urban Meyer, A Joke 2 years 4 months ago #4

I saw that too. I didn't laugh - I just tasted bile in the back of my throat. :sick:
  • thriller
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Junkyard Dawg
  • Thank you received: 391

Re: Urban Meyer, A Joke 2 years 4 months ago #5

thriller wrote:
I saw that too. I didn't laugh - I just tasted bile in the back of my throat. :sick:

I second that!
  • Dawg With Style
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Junkyard Dawg
  • Thank you received: 393
Every Dawg has it's day and todays the Day!!!

Re: Urban Meyer, A Joke 2 years 4 months ago #6

Said many times, not going to dismiss Urban Meyer, Gene Smith or OSU President Gordon Gee from the "truth" that neither of the three have displayed in college football.

Folks in Florida, hate to say this, have feelings for them and their distaste for Urban Meyer. The Gators now know that Urban "Liar" Meyer used them to reach the goal that he had set for himself prior to becoming what many Florida folks thought would be their coach for . . . . forever.

One of the reasons that Muschamp is getting some "slack" is because Jeremy Foley does not want to have the replacement not being able to stay on the winning path. Anyone notice that Florida is now moving 180 degrees away from Urban "Liar" Meyer football. They won some crystal under UM, however the SEC caught on real quick to "Mr. Slicks" brand of football.

Have to say this . . . . if Nick Saban was the head coach at Florida, that would be a tough team to beat. Lots of talent, tons of talent in the Sunshine State, same thing could be said for other State Schools.

Amazes me that Gene Smith and Gordon Gee escaped what their head football coach could not. One thing for sure, Urban Meyer will clean up OSU football . . . . . right? How many "doobies" can the players smoke before the hammer comes down . . . . when Urban was living in Gainesville, as many as the coaches pets wanted. FACT. Not necessarily against the "doobie" totally against "cover ups".

Check the following numbers out . . . .
www.ajc.com/sports/osu-pays-meyer-4-1460033.html
  • Buc
  • Senior Dawg

Re: Urban Meyer, A Joke 2 years 1 month ago #7

Had to bring this thread back for another shot at not only UM, but the folks that are on board with Meyer. It is almost impossible to turn to any ESPN channel and not see Urban Meyer's face plastered all over the screen. What is with giving all of this media time to a school that was suspended for multiple offenses, and Emmert of the NCAA gave an easier out to Ohio State than he did Southern Cal.

Have to side up with kentdaddy for sure on this one. . . . . GO MICHIGAN.

Urban Meyer is disliked more in Florida than he was liked early on. Folks down here do not have good wishes for UM and Ohio State.

Media north of the Mason-Dixon are trying every way possible to prevent the SEC from returning to another National Championship, will be interesting to see who ends up in the final game of 2012.

I wish UM had not gotten "sick" and remained in the SEC. Give him credit for this . . . he knew that his career was beginning to show the "real Urban Meyer" and better to leave than get totally exposed. Anyone that thinks that UGA's program with its many player penalties was bad, you really don't know and will never know that UF under Urban Meyer was several grades below UGA's. FACT.
  • Buc
  • Senior Dawg

Re: Urban Meyer, A Joke 2 years 1 month ago #8

Was watching ESPN last night and they had 6 clowns on there dubbed "THE EXPERTS". The show was about the upcoming year in college football and these "EXPERTS" opinions about the outcome. It was pretty clear that even though usc has a cush schedule,and very little else except a returning QB, who they thought deserved the NC and the Heisman. These "experts" did acknowledge that the SEC would probably play for the NC and a couple even said that if it were the tide they would probably win, but overall the show was heavily tilted towards usc finishing #1 and winning the NC. BUT, these experts were kissing ohio state butt pretty heavily also. The SEC had better be ready these "experts" say usc is going to personally knock them off the throne. Personally I think usc has a good team,but, arent man enough to pick on the big boys and win.
  • growl
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Junkyard Dawg
  • Thank you received: 400
The sun shines on a different Dawg every day
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.046 seconds